Fixing a Broken Soldering Iron: Repairing vs. Battery-Powered Options

In summary, if it's an old iron that you can't repair, it's probably not worth your time to try. If it's a newer one that you can't repair, you may be able to find a repair sub-assembly from the manufacturer or just replace the blown fuse.
akerkarprashant
TL;DR Summary
Soldering iron repairing
1 Is it possible to repair a Soldering iron which is not working?

2 Can we design and construct a Soldering iron working on Batteries instead of AC mains supply?

Attachments

• download (1).png
    download (1).png
    4.5 KB · Views: 103
  • download (9).jpeg
    download (9).jpeg
    4.4 KB · Views: 96
  • download (10).jpeg
    download (10).jpeg
    5 KB · Views: 91
Engineering news on Phys.org
You could repair a soldering iron, but for reasons of safety and economy, it's usually better to just buy another ##-## as for battery power, a small soldering iron such those depicted in your post uses about 25 watts, which would rapidly drain a small battery.

Likes akerkarprashant
Back when car radios used vacuum tubes, I made extra cash by going around to used car dealers repairing the radios. A necessary item in the tool kit was a soldering iron that plugged into the cigarette lighter socket, available at the local electronic parts distributor.

Conclusion:
Answer to question 2) is: Yes!

For question 1):
  • For older irons: Occassionally, if it is the power cord that failed.
  • For newer, temperature controlled irons: Often repair sub-assemblies are available from the manufacturer. (and sometimes it is just an internal blown fuse.)

Cheers,
Tom

Likes Klystron, sysprog and akerkarprashant
akerkarprashant said:
1 Is it possible to repair a Soldering iron which is not working?
If you refer to the type on the picture you attached, I would say 'better not'. These ones are usually poorly made cheap ones, not designed for repairs.

Likes Tom.G, sysprog and akerkarprashant
Adding to my previous response about battery-powered soldering irons ##-## a google search returns many of them in the 6w-12w range, e.g. this one from Weller Tools:

1643366742069.png

Likes akerkarprashant
Also there are gas powered ones. Farnell displays me a Polish page, but you should get the idea:

https://pl.farnell.com/en-PL/weller/0051608499/kit-soldering-iron-1300-c-gas/dp/1229803

Likes sophiecentaur and akerkarprashant
My USAF mobile electronics lab circa mid 1970's included a low wattage soldering 'Weller wand' containing a rechargeable power pack. We used the wand for quick temporary repairs in the field when electrical power was not available or generators not running.

IMS we stored the soldering wand in its charging cradle on the bench, not in a tool bag like the high wattage soldering guns and irons. I later owned a battery powered wand with an assortment of soldering heads that operated in 12 or 25 watt range with a short duty cycle.

Likes sysprog and akerkarprashant
I've yet to see a battery powered soldering iron that worked well compared to the higher powered "normal" irons that plug in. Still, they have their place, like if you have to solder just a few small things in the wilderness. If you want this because it's convenient in your lab, then you are way off the mark. I can pretty much guarantee that you are also skipping other important steps. Plus there are some things that you just can't do with low power heat.

Likes Klystron, sysprog and akerkarprashant

1. Can a broken soldering iron be repaired?

Yes, a broken soldering iron can be repaired in most cases. The extent of the repair will depend on the specific issue with the iron and the availability of replacement parts.

2. How do I know if my soldering iron needs to be repaired or replaced?

If your soldering iron is not heating up, has a loose or damaged tip, or is not functioning properly in any other way, it may need to be repaired. If the damage is extensive or the cost of repairs is close to the cost of a new soldering iron, it may be more cost-effective to replace it.

3. What is the difference between repairing and using a battery-powered soldering iron?

Repairing a soldering iron involves fixing any damaged components or replacing them with new ones. A battery-powered soldering iron, on the other hand, uses a rechargeable battery to heat up the tip, eliminating the need for a power outlet. This can be convenient for on-the-go projects, but may not be as powerful or long-lasting as a traditional soldering iron.

4. Can I repair my soldering iron myself?

It is possible to repair a soldering iron yourself, but it is recommended to have it repaired by a professional if you are not experienced with soldering or electronics. Attempting to repair it yourself without proper knowledge or tools can result in further damage to the iron.

5. How can I prevent my soldering iron from breaking?

To prevent your soldering iron from breaking, it is important to handle it carefully and store it properly when not in use. Make sure to clean the tip after each use and avoid using excessive force when soldering. It is also important to use the appropriate temperature for the materials you are soldering to avoid overheating and damaging the iron.