Fixing µTorrent Sluggish Download Speed: Windows XP Firewall & Port Forwarding

In summary, µTorrent was unable to add itself as an exception to the Windows Firewall, and when I tried to surf the internet, it went back down to 20 after it had been going up the entire day the day before.
KC9FVV
My bittorrent program (µTorrent) only runs at about 30 KB/s even though I have a 1.5 mbps connection.

Here are the error messages that apply to me:

What does "Error opening Windows Firewall: 0x800706D9" mean?

This means that µTorrent was unable to add itself as an exception to the Windows Firewall, using the standard Windows Firewall API. This most likely means that the firewall is disabled or not present. You can safely ignore this error. However, if you have another software firewall, you will still need to manually configure it to allow incoming and outgoing connections.

I'm running the Windows XP firewall, how would I be able to configure it to allow incoming and outgoing connections?

Here's the other error:

What does "Unable to map UPnP port to xx.xx.xx.xx:xx" mean?

This error means that µTorrent was unable to map the port with UPnP. If you have a green status light or have forwarded your port manually, you can safely ignore this error. However, if you have a yellow/red status [I have a red light] light, it may mean that you need to forward the port manually, or that your firewall is blocking incoming connections. UPnP will currently only work on Windows XP, so other OSes will need to forward manually.

So it's either that my firewall is clocking incoming connections, or I need to forward a port. Again, how would I be able to set the firewall connections? I found a site that shows you how to forward ports, and it shows a list of routers and firewalls: http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm

As I said, I have the Windows XP firewall, so which would I choose if the firewall connection isn't the problem?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Are you behind a network? If so u need to enable uPnP on your router.

KC9FVV said:
As I said, I have the Windows XP firewall, so which would I choose if the firewall connection isn't the problem?

By that do you mean which router should you choose out of the list on the site you linked?

Well when I looked at my download today it was going at 115 KB/s, but as soon as I started to surf the net, it went back down to 20 again, and isn't going back up. It didn't go above 30 the entire day yesterday.

I think I have a direct connection to the internet, I'm not running through a router as of right now (I think I lost it :mad: ).

To luminous bob, I'm trying to decide which firewall to choose, the site says "below is a list of routers and firewalls, click on the one that applies to you and it will show you how to forward a port."

Okay, if you're not behind a router and you're using Windows Firewall, then that list isn't going to help, because they're all routers and hardware firewalls.

What brand and model of modem are you using?

The brand is Westell, and the model is C90-610014-06.

Okay, well I'm pretty sure that's a router. The site you linked seems to have a page for that one, so try this and see if it helps:

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Westell/Westell6100/Utorrent.htm

It seems that it works both as a modem and a router. Everything is working fine now, thanks a lot.

1. How do I fix sluggish download speeds on µTorrent on Windows XP?

The most common cause of sluggish download speeds on µTorrent on Windows XP is a firewall or port forwarding issue. This can prevent the program from connecting to the necessary peers to download files.

2. What is the Windows XP Firewall and how does it affect µTorrent?

The Windows XP Firewall is a security feature that blocks incoming connections to your computer. If it is enabled and not properly configured, it can block µTorrent from connecting to peers and slow down download speeds.

3. How do I disable the Windows XP Firewall?

To disable the Windows XP Firewall, go to the Control Panel and open the Security Center. Then, click on Windows Firewall and select "Off" under the General tab. Keep in mind that disabling the firewall can make your computer more vulnerable to security threats.

4. How do I configure port forwarding for µTorrent?

To configure port forwarding for µTorrent, you will need to access your router's settings. The exact steps will vary depending on your router, but generally you will need to find the port forwarding section and add a new rule for the port that µTorrent is using (usually 6881-6889). You may also need to set a static IP address for your computer.

5. Are there any other settings I should check in µTorrent to improve download speeds?

Yes, there are a few other settings that can affect download speeds. Make sure that the "Enable UPnP port mapping" and "Enable NAT-PMP port mapping" options are checked in the Connection section of the preferences. You can also try adjusting the number of connections and upload slots in the Bandwidth section to see if it improves speeds.