Flow Calculations: Solenoid & SLM Rates

In summary, the solenoid valve may not be restricting the flow rate to the maximum allowed by the pump specs, but a more accurate way to determine the flow rate is to measure the pressure drop across the valve.
Timothy Fleeno
So, I am new to here and I am currently a technician that does vacuum systems for the semiconductor industry (mainly Electrical). I came across something today that has me quite perplexed.

So We have this system that flows gas through 1/4" stainless tubing to a pump to dilute gasses and chemicals inside. For testing purposes we run compressed air just to cool the seals. From my understanding the fabs run N2 through them for purge.

My issue is that some systems we get good flow rate through at 6-9 SLM. others will flow lower. Our alarm for the flow is 5 SLM but our flow averages between 5.4 and 6.4 SLM.

I think our specs are wrong as we have to make them because there is no manual for these pumps that is in English. Another tech says it's the solenoid that restricts the flow through the line set. When you look up the spec for flow rate on the solenoid it gives you 0.27CV. If I convert this to scfm at 90 and 100 psi I get a minimum flow rate of 14.0625 SCFM and a max of 15.2542 SCFM. We do not use SCFM so when I convert that to SLPM I get minimum of 398.21 SLPM and max of 431.95 SLPM which indicates that this specific solenoid does not restric our max flow which in the system is 60 SLPM.

Does this sound legitimate?
I have read that there is no pressure and flow relationship but I don't quite understand why.. I would think that more pressure would increase flow in a closed system like this because higher pressure=higher pressure differential between input and output.

Basically put I am trying to confirm that this solenoid has no way of restricting this flow rate lower than the 60 SLM. How would I legitimately go about figuring out the flow rate of this Solenoid?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I did a quick Cv calculation for an inlet pressure of 100 psi air which confirms that your solenoid valve should easily flow what you require with a less than 1 psi pressure drop, based upon that, if the solenoid is functioning correctly, it not having any effect on your flow rate.

The best test to confirm if that is true is to measure the flowing system's pressures immediately upstream and downstream of the solenoid valve to see if there is any measurable pressure drop.

Likes Timothy Fleeno
Ok, Sweet. I did not think it would affect it in any way. Was my CV calculation correct?

This is what I personally did (I do not know exactly what CV is, well I think it is constant velocity however, I am not familiar with those measurements):

I calculated a min and max because we range between 90 psi and 100psi

For 90 psi: I did 0.27/0.0192=14.0625 SCFM then converted that to SLPM (which I am familiar with) for 398.21 SLPM

For 100 psi: 0.27/0.0177= 15.2542 SCFM then converted to SLPM for a max flow rate of 431.95 SLPM

The conversion from SCFM to SLPM I did not know so I used a calculation tool to get to that point. Would I be correct in my assumption and if not how exactly would I do the math to figure it out exactly?

Also is that what Cv is? if not, What is CV? Sorry for the million questions in my reply. I have never taken mechanical engineering classes or anything of the sort. I'm not a huge mechanical guy personally. I work more on the electrical side with circuit boards and the like.

I am not familiar with the method you used for your calculation so I am attaching a copy of the standard I used and I am including a screen print of my calculation using this method for the 100 psig case that gives a different flow rate than what you calculated. There are two calculations, one that provides the maximum flow for the .26 Cv regardless of how low the downstream pressure is; and, a second that shows the minimum flow that would occur if the solenoid valve downstream backpressure is as high as 99 psi. For your case, for your case the actual flow will fall somewhere between these two points depending upon the downstream tubing backpressure. The alternate calculation method shown on the attached will also allow you to do a reverse calculation using your desired flow rate to calculate the Cv values needed to provide that rate.

upload_2016-12-17_0-0-46.png
upload_2016-12-17_0-0-46.png

Attachments

• Flow-Calculation-for-Gases.pdf
    18.9 KB · Views: 658

1. What is a solenoid and how does it impact flow calculations?

A solenoid is an electromechanical device that uses an electrical current to move a plunger or valve. In flow calculations, a solenoid can be used to control the flow rate by adjusting the valve to either open or close. This allows for more precise and accurate flow measurements.

2. How is the flow rate measured in a solenoid?

The flow rate in a solenoid is typically measured using a flow meter, such as a flow sensor or flow indicator. These devices use principles such as differential pressure or ultrasonic measurements to determine the flow rate of a fluid passing through the solenoid.

3. What is the relationship between solenoid rates and flow rates?

The solenoid rate refers to the rate at which the solenoid valve opens or closes, while the flow rate refers to the volume of fluid passing through the valve per unit time. The solenoid rate can directly impact the flow rate, as a faster or slower opening/closing of the valve can affect the amount of fluid passing through.

4. How can I calculate the flow rate using a solenoid?

To calculate the flow rate using a solenoid, you will need to know the solenoid rate, the valve size, and the pressure drop across the valve. By using the appropriate formula, you can determine the flow rate based on these parameters. It is important to consult a flow calculation expert or refer to specific guidelines for accurate calculations.

5. What is the significance of SLM rates in flow calculations?

SLM (Standard Liters per Minute) rates are commonly used in flow calculations to measure the flow rate of gases. This unit is based on a standard temperature and pressure, making it easier to compare flow rates between different solenoids or flow meters. It is important to note that SLM rates may not be applicable for all gases and may need to be converted to other units for accurate measurement.