Flow of a Non Viscous Fluid Through this Nozzle

In summary, you are trying to solve a problem in which you need to find the velocity ratios of two cones, one with a given radius and the other with a different radius. You were successful in solving the problem with the help of the user rekordido11.
rekordido11
Homework Statement
Determine the second layer's thickness
Relevant Equations
A1V1=A2V2
V2/V1=(R1ˇ2)/(R2ˇ2)
My first post here!
I have calculated everything i need, except the thickness of the second layer dZ*, therefore i can't solve V3/V2=(R2ˇ2)/(R3ˇ2)
Trying for days now, i would appreciate any help.

Attachments

• phprOKcxF.png
    phprOKcxF.png
    92.1 KB · Views: 111
  • img091.pdf
    60.5 KB · Views: 151
Physics news on Phys.org
The problem statement doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I guess they expect you to express the result algebraically in terms of ##\Delta z^*##.

Chestermiller said:
The problem statement doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I guess they expect you to express the result algebraically in terms of ##\Delta z^*##.
The way I read it, we are to find R1:R2, and hence v1:v2, in terms of L and Δz.
@rekordido11, think about the ratios between the complete cone and the cone from A2 to the point in respect of lengths and base radii.

Thank you Haruspex! I'm thinking..
I forgot to mention that i have given values for L=0.1m and Δz = 0.201m and R1=0.01m
Is R1/R2 = R2/R3 ?

Last edited:
rekordido11 said:
Is R1/R2 = R2/R3 ?
No.
Don't worry about R3 yet. You already figured out that to answer the first part you need the ratio of the two areas, A1:A2.
Look at the diagram showing those areas within the whole cone. Think about similar triangles. What equation can you write relating R1, R2, L and Δz?

haruspex said:
No.
Don't worry about R3 yet. You already figured out that to answer the first part you need the ratio of the two areas, A1:A2.
Look at the diagram showing those areas within the whole cone. Think about similar triangles. What equation can you write relating R1, R2, L and Δz?
R1/R2 = L/(L-dZ)
therefore R2/R3 = (L-dZ)/(L-dZ-dZ*)?

rekordido11 said:
R1/R2 = L/(L-dZ)
therefore R2/R3 = (L-dZ)/(L-dZ-dZ*)?
Right, but you are asked for the velocity ratio.
How will you find Δz*?

Δz* = L-Δz-(the length of the cone with R3)

V2/V3 = (L-Δz)/(the length of the cone with R3)
Am i right?

rekordido11 said:
Δz* = L-Δz-(the length of the cone with R3)
True, so can you find the length of the cone with R3?.
rekordido11 said:
V2/V3 = (L-Δz)/(the length of the cone with R3)
No. In your original attempt you had a correct equation involving the velocities.

Likes rekordido11
i solved the problem successfully with your help!
my professor approved :)
thank you very much sir!

Attachments

• hetedik fizika.jpg
    hetedik fizika.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 101

1. What is a non-viscous fluid?

A non-viscous fluid is a fluid that has no internal friction or resistance to flow. In other words, it has a very low viscosity, which is the measure of a fluid's resistance to deformation under shear stress.

2. What is the significance of studying the flow of a non-viscous fluid through a nozzle?

The flow of a non-viscous fluid through a nozzle is important in various engineering applications, such as in the design of pumps, turbines, and aircraft engines. It also has implications in the study of fluid dynamics and the understanding of how fluids behave under different conditions.

3. What factors affect the flow of a non-viscous fluid through a nozzle?

The flow of a non-viscous fluid through a nozzle is affected by several factors, including the size and shape of the nozzle, the pressure and velocity of the fluid, and the properties of the fluid itself, such as density and viscosity.

4. How is the flow of a non-viscous fluid through a nozzle calculated?

The flow of a non-viscous fluid through a nozzle can be calculated using the Bernoulli's equation, which relates the pressure, velocity, and elevation of a fluid along a streamline. This equation takes into account the conservation of energy and can be solved using mathematical methods.

5. What are some real-world applications of the flow of a non-viscous fluid through a nozzle?

The flow of a non-viscous fluid through a nozzle has many practical applications, including in hydraulic systems, gas and liquid propulsion systems, and industrial processes such as spraying and atomization. It is also relevant in the design of rocket engines, fuel injectors, and hydraulic turbines.