Flow rate through large air duct

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the flow rate in a large but short duct that leads to a fan and a separate unit. The duct and fan have different sizes, and the person plans to take static pressure readings before and after the fan to calculate the flow rate. There is a question about how the change in duct sizing will affect the flow rate estimation, and it is suggested that the dynamic pressure head variation will have a significant effect. The conversation also mentions that a pito-tube may be a better option for measuring flow rate.
mattibo
I am trying to find the flow rate in a duct that is quite large (around 4'x3') but is very short. This duct leads to a fan which leads to a separate unit through another short duct section. Both these duct sections have different sizes (the fan outlet is much bigger than its inlet). I will take static pressure readings before and after the fan to calculate the flow rate. How will the change in duct sizing effect my flow rate estimation? I guess that the dynamic pressure head variation will have a significnt effect.

Thank you for reading.

Likes DaleLEspinal456
Engineering news on Phys.org
ping @russ_watters . Can you help with this spring cleaning thread?

Likes russ_watters
mattibo said:
I am trying to find the flow rate in a duct that is quite large (around 4'x3') but is very short. This duct leads to a fan which leads to a separate unit through another short duct section. Both these duct sections have different sizes (the fan outlet is much bigger than its inlet). I will take static pressure readings before and after the fan to calculate the flow rate. How will the change in duct sizing effect my flow rate estimation? I guess that the dynamic pressure head variation will have a significnt effect.
You can't calculate the flow rate from a static (or differential) pressure measurement across the fan alone. But if you have the fan curve, you can plot the static pressure on it and find the flow. Either way, if you have the equipment to measure the pressure it would be better to use a pito-tube and measure the velocity -- then calculate the flow rate with the duct area.

Likes anorlunda

What is flow rate through large air duct?

Flow rate through large air duct refers to the volume of air that is passing through a duct in a specific amount of time. This measurement is typically expressed in cubic feet per minute (CFM) or cubic meters per hour (m3/h).

Why is flow rate through large air duct important?

Flow rate through large air duct is important because it affects the efficiency and performance of an HVAC system. If the flow rate is too low, it can lead to poor air quality and inadequate temperature control. If the flow rate is too high, it can cause excess noise, energy waste, and potential damage to the system.

What factors affect flow rate through large air duct?

There are several factors that can affect flow rate through large air duct, including the size and shape of the duct, the type of material used, the level of insulation, and the presence of obstructions or bends in the duct. The overall design and layout of the HVAC system can also impact the flow rate.

How is flow rate through large air duct measured?

Flow rate through large air duct can be measured using a flow hood, which is a specialized tool that measures the velocity and volume of air passing through a duct. Other methods include using an anemometer to measure air velocity and a pitot tube to measure dynamic pressure, which can then be used to calculate flow rate.

What are the recommended flow rates for large air ducts?

The recommended flow rates for large air ducts vary depending on the specific application and system design. However, in general, a flow rate of 1000-1500 CFM is considered suitable for residential HVAC systems, while commercial systems may require higher flow rates depending on the size and purpose of the building.