Flow through IV giving setting

• A
  • Thread starter Roshan Patel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flow
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of flow in fluid dynamics and how it is affected by constriction and adjustments to flow rate. The speaker is confused about how flow is conserved and is seeking clarification on the topic.
Roshan Patel
I know I am over thinking this but it's bugging me...

When giving patients fluid through an IV giving set, we set the flow rate by adjusting a rolling clamp on the tubing line. This is in effect creating a construction.

Reading about flow, I am told over and over that flow is conserved. That is, fluid increases its velocity through a constriction to maintain flow.

Clearly this doesn't happen when I clamp the tubing - the flow rate decreases...

I know that Poisuelles law states that flow is directly proportional to radius to the power 4 so that halving r would lead to 16x less flow. But still I though flow was conserved?

I would really appreciate someone explaining this to me...

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Roshan Patel said:
Reading about flow, I am told over and over that flow is conserved. That is, fluid increases its velocity through a constriction to maintain flow.

I don't know much about fluid dynamics, but I'd guess they mean that the flow through any given hose/tube/whatever is conserved, and that when you change the system, by adjusting the clamp in your case, you create a different system with a different flow rate that is conserved throughout the tube.

1. How does flow rate affect the delivery of medication through an IV?

The flow rate of an IV refers to the speed at which the medication is delivered into the patient's bloodstream. A higher flow rate means the medication will be delivered faster, while a lower flow rate means it will be delivered more slowly. The flow rate is determined by the size of the IV catheter and the pressure of the IV pump.

2. What is the standard flow rate for IV medications?

The standard flow rate for IV medications is typically measured in mL (milliliters) per hour. The exact flow rate will vary depending on the type of medication being administered, the patient's condition, and the specific IV pump being used. The doctor or nurse will determine the appropriate flow rate for each individual patient and medication.

3. How is the flow rate adjusted during an IV infusion?

The flow rate can be adjusted on the IV pump, usually by pressing buttons or adjusting a dial. The doctor or nurse will monitor the patient's response and may adjust the flow rate if necessary. It is important to follow the prescribed flow rate to ensure the safe and effective delivery of the medication.

4. What factors can affect the flow rate during an IV infusion?

The flow rate can be affected by several factors, including the size and condition of the patient's veins, the viscosity of the medication, and the position of the patient's body. Other factors such as the type of IV pump being used and any kinks or obstructions in the IV tubing can also affect the flow rate.

5. What should I do if the flow rate seems too fast or too slow during an IV infusion?

If you notice that the flow rate seems too fast or too slow during an IV infusion, it is important to notify the doctor or nurse immediately. They will assess the situation and make any necessary adjustments to ensure the safe and effective delivery of the medication. Do not attempt to adjust the flow rate on your own without consulting a healthcare professional.