Fluid Dynamics in Pipe Lines Problem

In summary, the student is seeking help with a Fluid Mechanics problem from a past exam. They have solved for the flow velocity and used the Darcy equation to calculate the friction loss coefficient, but are unsure if their solution is correct. They also question the purpose of the given kinematic viscosity and consider calculating the Reynolds number.
Elien
Hello!
Please help me understand whether I'm going to the right direction with the solution or partially wrong or completely wrong. I have a basic Fluid Mechanics course at the uni, the following problem is from a past exam my teacher gave us to practice before the exam, so there're no answers and I can't know if my solution is correct or not.
I just want you to say at least whether my solution is close to the truth or there're just some errors or I've solved it completely wrong. But if you can provide corrections to errors (if any), I'd be really grateful to you! Thank you in advance for your time!

P.S. There might be some improper English used in the problem statement or in my explanations since I'm not a native speaker and the teacher said that he translated the problems himself from German (he's German but running this course in English).

1. Homework Statement

A pressure drop of 15000 Pa is measured in a 10 m long water pipe with an inner diameter of di = 100 mm. Calculate the friction loss coefficient f if the flow rate in the pipe is 50 l/min.
Take the density of water equal to 1000 kg/m3 and the kinematic viscosity μ = 10-6 m2/s.

Homework Equations

1. I suppose that we should use here continuity equation (V/t = w*A) first for finding the flow velosity.
  2. And then the Darcy equation (Δp = λ (L / di) (ρ*w2 / 2)) for calculation of friction factor (do I understand right that "the friction loss coefficient f" from the question is the same as friction factor lambda λ? At the lesson we only used lambda as a denotion for a friction factor or friction coefficient, so I just assumed that f and λ are the same, are they?

The Attempt at a Solution

1. First using the equation of continuity I solved for the flow velocity w, preceded by calculation of the area A of the water pipe and conversion of the flow rate from l/min to m3/s:
A = pi / 4 * di2 = pi / 4 * (0.1m)2 = 7.85 * 10-3 m2

V/t = 50 l/min = 50*0.001 m3 / 60 s = 8.3 * 10-4 m3/s

w = V/t / A = 8.3 * 10-4 m3/s / 7.85 * 10-3 m2 = 0.106 m/s

2. Now we can use the Darcy equation to solve for the friction coefficient f :

Δp = f (L / di) (ρ*w2 / 2)

f = Δp*di*2 / L*ρ*w2 = 15000*0.1*2 / 10*1000*(0.106)2 = 26.7

So according to my solution the answer should be f = 26.7, but I really doubt that it's correct, since 26.7 seems to me too big, and more than that I don't understand what for we are given the kinematic viscosity, should I also compute the Reynolds number, but also what for the Re then?

If someone could help, thank you in advance for your time!

Physics news on Phys.org
Elien said:
Hello!
Please help me understand whether I'm going to the right direction with the solution or partially wrong or completely wrong. I have a basic Fluid Mechanics course at the uni, the following problem is from a past exam my teacher gave us to practice before the exam, so there're no answers and I can't know if my solution is correct or not.
I just want you to say at least whether my solution is close to the truth or there're just some errors or I've solved it completely wrong. But if you can provide corrections to errors (if any), I'd be really grateful to you! Thank you in advance for your time!

P.S. There might be some improper English used in the problem statement or in my explanations since I'm not a native speaker and the teacher said that he translated the problems himself from German (he's German but running this course in English).

1. Homework Statement

A pressure drop of 15000 Pa is measured in a 10 m long water pipe with an inner diameter of di = 100 mm. Calculate the friction loss coefficient f if the flow rate in the pipe is 50 l/min.
Take the density of water equal to 1000 kg/m3 and the kinematic viscosity μ = 10-6 m2/s.

Homework Equations

1. I suppose that we should use here continuity equation (V/t = w*A) first for finding the flow velosity.
  2. And then the Darcy equation (Δp = λ (L / di) (ρ*w2 / 2)) for calculation of friction factor (do I understand right that "the friction loss coefficient f" from the question is the same as friction factor lambda λ? At the lesson we only used lambda as a denotion for a friction factor or friction coefficient, so I just assumed that f and λ are the same, are they?

The Attempt at a Solution

1. First using the equation of continuity I solved for the flow velocity w, preceded by calculation of the area A of the water pipe and conversion of the flow rate from l/min to m3/s:
A = pi / 4 * di2 = pi / 4 * (0.1m)2 = 7.85 * 10-3 m2

V/t = 50 l/min = 50*0.001 m3 / 60 s = 8.3 * 10-4 m3/s

w = V/t / A = 8.3 * 10-4 m3/s / 7.85 * 10-3 m2 = 0.106 m/s

2. Now we can use the Darcy equation to solve for the friction coefficient f :

Δp = f (L / di) (ρ*w2 / 2)

f = Δp*di*2 / L*ρ*w2 = 15000*0.1*2 / 10*1000*(0.106)2 = 26.7

So according to my solution the answer should be f = 26.7, but I really doubt that it's correct, since 26.7 seems to me too big, and more than that I don't understand what for we are given the kinematic viscosity, should I also compute the Reynolds number, but also what for the Re then?

If someone could help, thank you in advance for your time!
Something seems wrong with the input data here. I checked your calculations, and your results look OK to me, based on the input data. But, the friction factor seems high by a factor of about 1000. Try calculating if using the Moody plot. What do you get for the Reynolds number? What value of the friction factor does this give?

1. What is Fluid Dynamics?

Fluid Dynamics is the study of how fluids (liquids and gases) move and interact with their surroundings.

2. What are Pipe Lines?

Pipe Lines are a system of pipes used to transport fluids such as water, oil, and gas from one location to another.

3. How does Fluid Dynamics affect Pipe Lines?

Fluid Dynamics is important in Pipe Lines because it determines the flow rate, pressure, and energy loss of the fluids being transported. It also helps in predicting and preventing issues such as clogging and leaks.

4. What are some common problems in Fluid Dynamics of Pipe Lines?

Some common problems in Fluid Dynamics of Pipe Lines include flow separation, cavitation, pressure drop, and erosion. These can lead to decreased efficiency and potential damage to the pipe system.

5. How can these problems be solved?

These problems can be solved by using proper pipe design, regular maintenance and cleaning, and implementing measures such as flow regulators and pressure control valves. Advanced computational tools and simulation techniques can also help in predicting and mitigating these issues.