Fluid Dynamics - material derivative of vorticity/density

In summary: The \mathbf{\omega} \cdot \nabla \mathbf{u} term does cancel, but the way I was writing it, there are 3 separate terms equal to zero, \mathbf{\omega} \cdot \nabla \mathbf{u} =0 being one of them.
Deadstar

Homework Statement

Show that, for an inviscid fluid, we have

[tex]\frac{D}{Dt}\bigg{(}\frac{\mathbf{\omega}}{\rho}\bigg{)} = \bigg{(}\frac{\mathbf{\omega}}{\rho}\cdot \nabla \bigg{)}\mathbf{u} - \frac{1}{\rho}\nabla\bigg{(}\frac{1}{\rho}\bigg{)} \times \nabla p[/tex]

Homework Equations

Euler's equation

[tex]\frac{\partial \mathbf{u}}{\partial t} + \mathbf{\omega} \times \mathbf{u} + \nabla(\mathbf{u}^2/2) = -\frac{1}{\rho}\nabla p - \nabla \chi[/tex]

Conservation of mass

[tex]\frac{D \rho}{Dt} + \rho \nabla \dot \mathbf{u} = 0[/tex]

EDIT: The above equation isn't showing for me but perhaps it's just me. I'm sure you know it but it's missing a dot u = 0 for what I can see.

The Attempt at a Solution

From Euler's equation, we take the curl of both sides giving.

[tex]\frac{\partial \mathbf{\omega}}{\partial t} + \nabla \times (\mathbf{\omega} \times \mathbf{u}) + 0 = \nabla \times (-\frac{1}{\rho}\nabla p) - 0[/tex]

Using vector identities now we have

[tex]\frac{\partial \mathbf{\omega}}{\partial t} + (\mathbf{u} \cdot \nabla)\mathbf{\omega} + \mathbf{\omega}\nabla \cdot \mathbf{u} - \mathbf{u}\nabla \cdot \mathbf{\omega} [/tex] [tex]- (\mathbf{\omega} \cdot \nabla)\mathbf{u} = - \nabla \bigg{(}\frac{1}{\rho}\bigg{)} \times \nabla p[/tex]

Now the 4th term is equal to zero since [tex]\nabla \cdot (\nabla \times \mathbf{\omega}) = 0[/tex] and I think we need to divide by [tex]\rho[/tex] as well.

That's sort of where I am right now although I have ideas as to where to go. A hint I'm given is to replace [tex]\nabla \cdot \mathbf{u}[/tex] with [tex]\frac{1}{\rho}\frac{D \rho}{Dt}[/tex] as then apparently it should go to zero but I fail to see why this is.?.Basically my thoughts are...

The [tex](\mathbf{\omega} \cdot \nabla) \mathbf{u}[/tex] term stays as it is with the dividing by [tex]\rho[/tex] creating the 1st term on the right hand side of the equation I am trying to derive. The first two terms are just an expression for the material derivative of [tex]\frac{\mathbf{\omega}}{\rho}[/tex] (hugely unsure of this though) so the third term should be zero...
It's the use of the conservation of mass that is confusing me as I don't quite know how it's supposed to help me here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you're finding this so confusing, why not start from

[tex] \frac{D }{D t} \left(\frac{\mathbf{\omega}}{\rho}\right) = \left( \frac{\partial}{\partial t} + \mathbf{u}\cdot \nabla \right) \left(\frac{\mathbf{\omega}}{\rho}\right) .[/tex]

Use Euler's equation to rewrite [tex]\partial \mathbf{\omega}/\partial t[/tex] and the mass conservation equation to rewrite [tex]D\rho/Dt[/tex].

That's the way that I first tried to do this but all I still do not see anyway to use conservation of mass.

All that happens is I end up with this circular argument where from the above steps I end up with

[tex]\mathbf{\omega}\frac{D}{Dt}\bigg{(}\frac{1}{\rho}\bigg{)} + \frac{1}{\rho} \frac{D\mathbf{\omega}}{Dt}[/tex]

The way I was doing it in the first post is the 'right way' in terms of how we are expected to solve it. I know, there is no 'right way' but I don't think anyone should abandon a method without knowing why it is wrong. So what goes wrong where in my first post? Is there some 'physical argument' I am missing (i.e, rather than manipulating formula or using a mathematical method, we can eliminate/change some term by knowing properties of the system we are dealing with)

EDIT:

Ok I found this online which seems to be the same way I'm doing it.

http://www.princeton.edu/~gkv/geoturb/turbch.pdf

Page 4, equation 1.17 is where I'm at and the very next step is the answer I'm looking for.

It's just this statement

"The divergence term may be eliminated with the aid of the mass-conservation equation"

that I don't follow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your original approach should work. I think the only thing you didn't do was argue that [tex](\mathbf{\omega} \cdot \nabla)\mathbf{u}=0[/tex]. Otherwise, the substitutions you describe in the OP are leading to the right result, but you didn't bother to show what you got when you put them all together.

fzero said:
Your original approach should work. I think the only thing you didn't do was argue that [tex](\mathbf{\omega} \cdot \nabla)\mathbf{u}=0[/tex]. Otherwise, the substitutions you describe in the OP are leading to the right result, but you didn't bother to show what you got when you put them all together.

Oh right I thought it was the [tex]\mathbf{\omega}\nabla \cdot \mathbf{u}[/tex] term that would go to zero... Hmm. Ok, I'll post what I think is happening and you can tell me what, if anything, is correct.

So going from the last equation I wrote in OP... Divide everything by [tex]\rho[/tex].

The first two terms become...

[tex]\frac{\partial \mathbf{\omega}}{\partial t}\bigg{(}\frac{1}{\rho}\bigg{)} + (\mathbf{u} \cdot \nabla)\mathbf{\omega}\frac{1}{\rho} = \frac{D}{Dt}\bigg{(}\frac{\mathbf{\omega}}{\rho}\bigg{)}[/tex] (this is what I'm most unsure about.)

[tex]\nabla \cdot (\nabla \times \mathbf{u})[/tex] is equal to zero (note this was a mistype in OP) so we have...

[tex]\frac{D}{Dt}\bigg{(}\frac{\mathbf{\omega}}{\rho}\bigg{)} + \frac{1}{\rho}\mathbf{\omega}\nabla \cdot \mathbf{u} - \frac{1}{\rho}(\mathbf{\omega} \cdot \nabla)\mathbf{u} = -\frac{1}{\rho}\nabla \bigg{(}\frac{1}{\rho}\bigg{)} \times \nabla p[/tex]

So that's what I think it reduces down to, now the last part is just to use mass conservation but I can't quite see how it helps.

Deadstar said:
Oh right I thought it was the [tex]\mathbf{\omega}\nabla \cdot \mathbf{u}[/tex] term that would go to zero...

[STRIKE]That's zero as well. The easiest way is to write it in components using the [tex]\epsilon_{ijk}[/tex] symbol.[/STRIKE]

Edit: Actually, I'm not able to show that [tex]\mathbf{\omega}\nabla \cdot \mathbf{u} =0[/tex], and I don't think there's any reason for it to be. Those terms cancel out in the calculation.

Right now I'm left with an extra term proportional to [tex](\mathbf{\omega} \cdot \nabla) \mathbf{u}[/tex] which I haven't been able to explicitly show vanishes.

Hmm. Ok, I'll post what I think is happening and you can tell me what, if anything, is correct.

So going from the last equation I wrote in OP... Divide everything by [tex]\rho[/tex].

The first two terms become...

[tex]\frac{\partial \mathbf{\omega}}{\partial t}\bigg{(}\frac{1}{\rho}\bigg{)} + (\mathbf{u} \cdot \nabla)\mathbf{\omega}\frac{1}{\rho} = \frac{D}{Dt}\bigg{(}\frac{\mathbf{\omega}}{\rho}\bigg{)}[/tex] (this is what I'm most unsure about.)

Not quite:

[tex]\frac{\partial \mathbf{\omega}}{\partial t}\bigg{(}\frac{1}{\rho}\bigg{)} + (\mathbf{u} \cdot \nabla)\mathbf{\omega}\frac{1}{\rho} = \frac{1}{\rho} \frac{D\mathbf{\omega}}{Dt}+\mathbf{\omega}(\mathbf{u} \cdot \nabla)\frac{1}{\rho}[/tex]

There are a couple of steps to be added to obtain [tex](D/Dt)(\mathbf{\omega}/\rho)[/tex].

It probably would have been easier to have made the substitution

[tex]\frac{\partial \mathbf{\omega}}{\partial t}\bigg{(}\frac{1}{\rho}\bigg{)} = \frac{\partial }{\partial t} \left( \frac{\mathbf{\omega}}{\rho} \right) + \frac{\mathbf{\omega }}{\rho^2} \frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t} [/tex]

before anything else.

Last edited:

Related to Fluid Dynamics - material derivative of vorticity/density

1. What is the material derivative of vorticity?

The material derivative of vorticity is a measure of the rate of change of vorticity at a specific point in a fluid flow. It takes into account both the local changes in vorticity as well as the changes due to the movement of the fluid itself.

2. How is the material derivative of density related to fluid dynamics?

The material derivative of density is a term used in the Navier-Stokes equations to describe the rate of change of density in a fluid flow. It is an important concept in fluid dynamics as it helps to explain the behavior of fluids in motion.

3. What is the significance of vorticity in fluid dynamics?

Vorticity is a measure of the spinning or rotation of a fluid element in a fluid flow. It plays a crucial role in fluid dynamics as it influences the formation of eddies, the development of turbulence, and the overall behavior of a fluid flow.

4. How does the material derivative of vorticity/density affect fluid behavior?

The material derivative of vorticity and density helps to describe how the fluid properties change over time and space in a fluid flow. This, in turn, affects the behavior of the fluid, such as the formation of vortices, the development of turbulence, and the overall motion of the fluid.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding the material derivative of vorticity/density?

Understanding the material derivative of vorticity and density is crucial in many real-world applications, including weather forecasting, aerodynamics, and oceanography. It helps to predict and analyze fluid flows in these fields, which can have significant impacts on our daily lives.