Fluid dynamics of entry region in a pipe

In summary, the problem involves steady, laminar flow of an incompressible Newtonian fluid between two horizontal parallel plates with an entrance region of interest. The velocity profile changes in the z-direction until it becomes fully developed and takes on a parabolic shape. The non-zero components of the velocity vector are vx and vz, where vx is a function of both x and z and vz is only a function of z. The stress tensor is also present and its components depend on both x and z. The pressure varies in both the x and z direction and can be replaced by a change in pressure over the length of the entrance region. The reduced differential equations for the velocity and pressure fields in the entrance region
dweeegs

Homework Statement

Steady, laminar flow of an incompressible Newtonian fluid with constant physical properties. The area of interest in the problem is in the entrance region between two wise, horizontal parallel plates separated by distance 2B. z is in the direction of flow and x is the direction in which vz (velocity in the z-direction) varies. The plates are stationary and the flow is due to an imposed axial pressure gradient. At the entrance, the velocity is uniform in the cross-section. Far downstream the fluid becomes fully developed and a parabolic shape results.

a) What are the non-zero components of the velocity vector and stress tensor in the entrance region? In what direction do the vary?

b) In what direction does the pressure vary? For entrance flow, can dP/dz be replaced by ΔP/L?

c) Write the reduced differential equation(s) that describe the velocity and pressure fields in the entrance region. Clearly state all of the required boundary conditions

Homework Equations

Navier-Stokes equations and the tensor equations (in rectangular coordinates)

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) I said there's velocity in the x and z direction in the entrance region. The velocity profile changes until it is fully developed, which is why I said z-direction. In order to become a parabola, the velocity also has to be moving inwards in the x-direction, also has to do with the 'no slip' condition assumed on the pipe's surface.

I said the velocity in the z direction depends on x and z. This is because it changes to a parabola as the fluid moves in the z-direction (where the velocity in the z direction would still depend on x). I said the velocity in the x direction only depends on z, though I was shaky on that. My reasoning on that was again with the fact that it becomes fully developed as we move in the z-direction, where it eventually disappears. I'm not sure why it doesn't depend in the x-direction, though I threw it out because I couldn't come up with a good reason.

I can do the tensors myself if my thinking from above is confirmed by someone else

(b) I assumed pressure varies in the x and z direction because there are velocities in both directions. I couldn't explain if we could replace dP/dz with ΔP/L

(c) again, I can do myself if my results from (a) are confirmed.

Help! i just need someone to explain if I'm right or wrong.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm going to change my assumption for velocity in the x-direction.

The fluid would be coming from both the top and bottom of the pipe and meet in the middle, where vx=0. Obviously this means there's a change in the x-direction with the x-component of the velocity.

so now vx is a function of x and z.

Related to Fluid dynamics of entry region in a pipe

1. What is the entry region in a pipe?

The entry region in a pipe refers to the area at the beginning of a pipe where the fluid flow is still developing and is affected by the entrance conditions. It is typically the first 10 pipe diameters.

2. Why is the entry region important in fluid dynamics?

The entry region is important because it affects the overall flow behavior in the pipe. Any disturbances or fluctuations in the flow at the entry region can impact the entire flow profile and cause energy losses.

3. How does the geometry of a pipe affect the entry region?

The geometry of a pipe, specifically the diameter and shape of the entrance, can greatly influence the fluid flow in the entry region. A gradual or smooth entrance allows for a more gradual transition of the flow, while a sharp entrance can cause turbulence and energy losses.

4. What are the factors that affect the length of the entry region?

The length of the entry region is affected by the entrance geometry, fluid velocity, and fluid properties such as viscosity. A higher fluid velocity or lower viscosity can result in a shorter entry region, while a more abrupt entrance can lead to a longer entry region.

5. How is the flow in the entry region typically characterized?

The flow in the entry region is typically characterized by a velocity profile that is parabolic in shape, with the maximum velocity occurring at the center of the pipe. The velocity profile becomes fully developed after the entry region, with a constant velocity across the pipe diameter.