Fluid Force Problem: Find the Answer with Help from Dean

In summary, the problem involves finding the fluid force on a square plate with a vertex at the surface and a diagonal perpendicular to the surface. The surface has a diamond shape, which can be divided into two triangles. The integrals needed to calculate the fluid force for each triangle are provided, but the textbook's answer is different. The solution involves using a coordinate system and integrating the pressure at each depth to find the total force on each triangle. However, with a clever approach, the difficult parts of the integrals cancel out.
dean_travers
I would appreciate any help I can get w/the following problem:
A square plate of side 'a' ft is dipped in a liquid of weight density 'p' lb/ft^3. Find the fluid force on the plate if a vertex is at the surface and a diagonal is perpendicular to the surface.

I understand the surface has a diamond shape--I have tried dividing it into two triangles and finding the fluid force for each and adding them but have been unable to obtain the textbook's answer.

The two integrals I get are:
fluid force 1 = integral (limits: a*sqrt2/2 and 0) p * 2h^2 * dh
fluid force 2 = integral (limits: a*sqrt2 and a*sqrt2/2) p * ( h + (a*sqrt2)/2) * (2h) * dh

The book's answer is (a^3*p)/sqrt2.

Thanks,
Dean

Physics news on Phys.org
Since this is clearly homework, I am moving it.

Yes, dividing into two triangles is probably the best way to go. If we take a coordinate system with (0,0) at the upper corner, positive y-axis along the vertical diagonal, then the sides of the upper triangle are given by y= x (x> 0) and y= -x (x< 0). The horizontal diagonal is at y= [itex]a\sqrt{2}/2[/itex], half the length of the diagonal. A thin (thickness dy) horizontal rectangle, at given y will have length y-(-y)= 2y and so area 2ydy. The depth is y so the pressure at that depth is py. The total force on that thin rectangle is py2dy. Integrate that from y= 0 to [itex]a\sqrt{2}/2[/itex] to get the total force on the upper triangle.

The lower triangle can be done in a similar way. Now, let the origin, (0, 0) be at the lower vertex, the positive y-axis upward. The calculation for the area is exactly the same: 2ydy. However, the depth of that vertex at (0,0) is now [itex]a\sqrt{2}[/itex] and the depth of the horizontal line at height y above the vertex is [itex]a\sqrt{2}-y[/itex] so you must integrate [itex]2py(a\sqrt{2}-y)[/itex] from 0 to [itex]a\sqrt{2}/2[/itex].
Hmmm- if you are clever, the hard part of those two integrals will cancel!

1. What is fluid force problem?

Fluid force problem is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the force exerted by a fluid on an object. This can include problems related to buoyancy, pressure, and fluid flow.

2. How can Dean help with solving fluid force problems?

Dean can provide valuable assistance in solving fluid force problems by using his knowledge and experience in physics. He can provide guidance on the relevant equations and concepts, and help with setting up and solving the problem.

3. What are some common examples of fluid force problems?

Some common examples of fluid force problems include calculating the buoyant force on an object submerged in water, determining the pressure at a certain depth in a fluid, and finding the force required to push a fluid through a pipe at a given rate.

4. What are the key equations to use when solving fluid force problems?

The key equations to use when solving fluid force problems depend on the specific problem at hand. However, some common equations include Archimedes' principle for calculating buoyant force, Bernoulli's equation for fluid flow, and the equation for pressure = force/area.

5. What are some helpful tips for solving fluid force problems?

Some helpful tips for solving fluid force problems include carefully identifying and labeling all given information, using the correct units and conversions, and drawing clear diagrams to visualize the problem. It is also important to double-check calculations and units before submitting a final answer.