The Euler Equation and Incompressible Fluid Theorems

In summary, the divergence theorem states that if the potential force is constant, then the divergence of the fluid's velocity is zero.
aclaret
Homework Statement
Let ##u: R^3 \times R \rightarrow R^3## be flow velocity of incompressible fluid. Let fluid be subject to potential force ##-\nabla \chi##. To prove
$$\frac{d}{dt} \int_{V} \frac{1}{2} \rho \langle u, u \rangle dV + \int_{\partial V} H \langle u, n \rangle dA = 0$$where ##H := \frac{1}{2}\rho \langle u, u \rangle + p + \chi##, and notation ##\langle x, y \rangle## denote standard inner product on ##R^3##.
Relevant Equations
fluid dynamic, euler's equation of the motion
$$\frac{Du}{Dt} = -\frac{\nabla p}{\rho} - \nabla \chi$$I re-write the Euler equation for incompressible fluid using suffix notation
$$\frac{\partial u_i}{\partial t} + u_j \frac{\partial u_i}{\partial x_j} + \frac{\partial}{\partial x_i} \left(\frac{p}{\rho} + \chi \right) = 0$$what theorems applies to the problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have integrals involving a volume and a surface. That would suggest the divergence theorem.

divergence theorem I can write$$\int_{\partial V} \langle u, n \rangle dA = \int_V \frac{\partial u_j}{\partial x_j} dV$$try multiply equation by ##u_i## and then do implicit summation also over ##i##

$$u_i \frac{\partial u_i}{\partial t} + u_i u_j \frac{\partial u_i}{\partial x_j} + u_i \frac{\partial}{\partial x_i} \left(\frac{p}{\rho} + \chi \right) = 0$$get for second term$$u_i u_j \frac{\partial u_i}{\partial x_j} = \frac{1}{2}u_j \frac{\partial}{\partial x_j} \langle u, u \rangle$$first term also

$$u_i \frac{\partial u_i}{\partial t} = \frac{1}{2} \frac{\partial}{\partial t} \langle u,u \rangle$$do I effect the volume integral to both sides?

$$\int_V \frac{1}{2} \frac{\partial}{\partial t} \langle u,u \rangle dV + \int_V \frac{1}{2}u_j \frac{\partial}{\partial x_j} \langle u, u \rangle dV + \int_V u_i \frac{\partial}{\partial x_i} \left(\frac{p}{\rho} + \chi \right) dV = 0$$can I make use of divergence theorem here?

$$\frac{d}{dt} \int_V \frac{1}{2} \rho \langle u,u \rangle dV + \int_V u_i \frac{\partial}{\partial x_i} \left[ \frac{1}{2} \rho \langle u, u \rangle + \left(p + \rho \chi \right) \right] dV = K, \quad K \, \mathrm{= constant}$$I can try integrate second term by parts,$$\int_V u_i \frac{\partial}{\partial x_i} \left[ \frac{1}{2} \rho \langle u, u \rangle + \left(p + \rho \chi \right) \right] dV = \int_{\partial V} \left[ \frac{1}{2} \rho \langle u, u \rangle + \left(p + \rho \chi \right) \right] \langle u, n \rangle dA - \int_{V} \left[ \frac{1}{2} \rho \langle u, u \rangle + \left(p + \rho \chi \right) \right] \frac{\partial u_i}{\partial x_i} dV$$does second term vanish? even if, the first term still incorrect. I wonder if you can tell second hint @pasmith :), I'm in a little confusion ;)

What is the divergence of an incompressible fluid?

Likes aclaret
let me see... clearly from equation of continuity it follow that if ##(\forall x,t) \, \rho(x,t) = \text{constant}##, then ##\nabla \cdot u = 0##. hence, second integral vanish, and get$$\frac{d}{dt} \int_V \frac{1}{2} \rho \langle u,u \rangle dV + \int_{\partial V} \left[ \frac{1}{2} \rho \langle u, u \rangle + \left(p + \rho \chi \right) \right] \langle u, n \rangle dA = K, \quad K \, \mathrm{= constant}$$but this would give me ##H := \frac{1}{2} \rho \langle u, u \rangle + p + \rho \chi##, which tiny bit different to problem statement. would you agree my work is correct, or did I do a mistake somewhere...

The problem statement says that the fluid is subject ot a potential force of [itex]-\nabla\chi[/itex], not [itex]-\rho\nabla\chi[/itex]. Other than that your work is correct.

The constant [itex]K[/itex] is zero; it were not there would be some point where [tex]
\rho \frac{Du}{Dt} + \nabla p + \nabla \chi \neq 0.[/tex]

• Love
Likes aclaret
parfait! yes I see, thank for point out my mistake with the factor of ##\rho##. I also was not certain how to "convince myself" that ##K## indeed vanish.

i think necessary for me do lot more of these problem to learn the tricks of the trade :), the simple realize that ##\nabla \cdot u = 0## was enough here to reveal how to finish the solution!

thank for your assistance :)

1. What is the Euler equation and how is it used in fluid dynamics?

The Euler equation is a fundamental equation in fluid dynamics that describes the motion of an ideal, inviscid fluid. It is based on the principles of conservation of mass and conservation of momentum, and is used to model the behavior of fluids in a variety of applications, such as aerodynamics and hydrodynamics.

2. Can the Euler equation be applied to all types of fluids?

No, the Euler equation is only applicable to incompressible fluids, which are fluids that do not change in volume when subjected to pressure. This means that the density of the fluid remains constant throughout the flow, and the equation cannot be used for compressible fluids such as gases.

3. What are the assumptions made in the Euler equation?

The Euler equation is based on several assumptions, including the fluid being inviscid (no internal friction), incompressible, and the flow being steady and irrotational (no vortices). These assumptions allow for a simplified model of fluid behavior, but may not accurately represent real-world situations.

4. How does the incompressible fluid theorem relate to the Euler equation?

The incompressible fluid theorem is a corollary of the Euler equation that states that for an incompressible fluid, the flow velocity and pressure are inversely related. This means that as the velocity of the fluid increases, the pressure decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is important in understanding the behavior of incompressible fluids.

5. What are some practical applications of the Euler equation and incompressible fluid theorem?

The Euler equation and incompressible fluid theorem have many practical applications, including predicting the lift and drag forces on an airplane wing, designing efficient water turbines, and understanding the flow of blood in the human body. They are also used in weather forecasting and in the study of ocean currents.