Fluid Mechanics: viscous flow in pipes

In summary, Chet found that substituting f for something in the 128μLQ/πρgd^4 equation gave him a too high Reynold's number. He plans to re-do everything in the weekend.
Feodalherren

Homework Statement

Untitled.png

Homework Equations

ρ=789, μ=.0012

The Attempt at a Solution

From the energy equation we get hf=0.9

We know that hf=f(L/D)(V^2)/(2g)
[sorry don't know how to use latex after they removed the bar on the right]

Now I can substitute V for Q, but I'm stuck with f and Q as unknowns and I only have one equation. The solutions manual did something weird :

128μLQ/πρgd^4

It looks like they substituted f for something, but I can't figure out what. I only know how to look up f in the Moody diagram or 64/Re for laminar flow. Did they iterate it somehow?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm confused over what you did. I assume hf is the head at the bottom of the 2 mm tube minus the head at the top of the 2 mm tube, correct? Can you write an overall macroscopic force balance for the fluid in the 2 mm tube? Let's see.

Chet

Likes Feodalherren
Feodalherren said:

Homework Equations

ρ=789, μ=.0012

Units, units, units! Always show the units!

The Attempt at a Solution

From the energy equation we get hf=0.9

We know that hf=f(L/D)(V^2)/(2g)
[sorry don't know how to use latex after they removed the bar on the right]

Now I can substitute V for Q, but I'm stuck with f and Q as unknowns and I only have one equation. The solutions manual did something weird :

128μLQ/πρgd^4

This expression is derived from Hagen-Poiseuille flow:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hagen–Poiseuille_equation

It's this equation which covers laminar flow conditions.

It looks like they substituted f for something, but I can't figure out what. I only know how to look up f in the Moody diagram or 64/Re for laminar flow. Did they iterate it somehow?

If you calculate the Reynold's Number for the flow, Re < 2300 indicates laminar flow, Re > 4000 indicates turbulent flow, and in between there is a transition zone as indicated on the Moody Diagram.

For Laminar flow, there is a direct relationship between f and Reynolds Number. :wink:

Likes Feodalherren
OK. I went through the derivation of the equations, and got the relationship you wrote down as well as the value of 0.9 m for hf. Now, for laminar flow, just substitute f = 64/Re into your equation, with Re = ρvD/μ, and then solve for v. This is basically what SteamKing is recommending. Then, as he says, once you know v, check the Reynolds number to see if the flow is laminar. If it is, then you're done. If not, then you are going to have to solve it by trial and error. To get you started, there are analytical approximations to f as a function of Re for the turbulent flow region that you can use to provide an initial guess.

Chet

Last edited:
Likes Feodalherren
Thanks guys! I'm still doing something wrong though,
this is what I get:

.9 = (64)(.0012)V / (789)(.002)(2)(9.8)

V = 362

Gives a WAY too high Reynold's number. The book has it listed at 795.

Feodalherren said:
Thanks guys! I'm still doing something wrong though,
this is what I get:

.9 = (64)(.0012)V / (789)(.002)(2)(9.8)

V = 362

Gives a WAY too high Reynold's number. The book has it listed at 795.
You should have a D^2 in the denominator, not a D. You're off by a factor of 500. Of course, if you had carried the units along with your calculation, you would have seen that immediately.

Chet

Likes Feodalherren
I usually carry units but it's just too much work when there are so many of them to take into account. Anyway, stupid mistake. Thank you again. I don't know what I'd do without this forum.

Feodalherren said:
I usually carry units but it's just too much work when there are so many of them to take into account. Anyway, stupid mistake. Thank you again. I don't know what I'd do without this forum.
I don't feel like it's too much work.

Chet

Feodalherren said:
Of course, if this problem were on a test, and you missed getting the correct answer becuz units ... :oops:

I always include units on tests ;). I was trying to blast through this homework as I have a dynamics quiz due. I'll re-do everything in the weekend.

What is fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics is the branch of physics that studies the behavior of fluids, including liquids and gases, and the forces that act upon them.

What is viscous flow?

Viscous flow is the flow of a fluid that has resistance to shearing forces, meaning that it is thick and sticky. This type of flow is typically seen in liquids like honey or oil.

How does viscous flow occur in pipes?

In pipes, viscous flow occurs due to the friction between the fluid and the walls of the pipe. This friction causes the fluid to move in layers, with the fluid closest to the wall moving the slowest and the fluid in the center moving the fastest.

What factors affect the rate of viscous flow in pipes?

The rate of viscous flow in pipes is affected by several factors, including the viscosity of the fluid, the diameter and length of the pipe, and the pressure difference between the two ends of the pipe.

Why is understanding viscous flow important?

Understanding viscous flow is important because it has many practical applications, such as in the design of pipelines, pumps, and other fluid systems. It also plays a crucial role in many industrial processes, such as in the production of oil and gas.