Fluid Mechanics:Volumetric flow rate and average velocity

In summary, the problem involves air flowing through a reducer at a flow rate of 30 [N/s]. The pipe has a 300 [mm] diameter section with a specific weight of 9.8 [N/m3 ], and a 200 [mm] diameter section with a specific weight of 7.85 [N/m3 ]. The pressure and temperature changes in the reducer cause the air to expand and decrease in density. The task is to find the volumetric flow rates and average velocities in both sections of the pipe. Some confusion arose regarding the units of the flow rate, but it was clarified that the problem is not asking for the mass flow rate. The standard continuity equation can be used to solve for the required information.
jdawg

Homework Statement

. Air, at a flow rate of 30 [N/s], flows through the reducer shown below. In the 300 [mm] diameter section of the pipe the specific weight of the air is 9.8 [N/m3 ]. When flowing through the reducer the pressure and temperature will fall causing the air to expand and producing a reduction of density. The specific weight in the 200 [mm] diameter section of the pipe is 7.85 [N/m3 ]. Find the volumetric flow rates and average velocities in both sections of the pipe.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Ok, so I'm a little confused on what the flow rate of 30 N/s is! I've never seen that combination of units before. Can I divide it by gravity to get the mass flow rate?

When the problem asks for average velocity at inlet and exit, is this a different formula than this one?

mass=Area*velocity*density

Also, is this flow moving from right to left?

Attachments

• flu1.png
    flu1.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 421
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
jdawg said:

Homework Statement

. Air, at a flow rate of 30 [N/s], flows through the reducer shown below. In the 300 [mm] diameter section of the pipe the specific weight of the air is 9.8 [N/m3 ]. When flowing through the reducer the pressure and temperature will fall causing the air to expand and producing a reduction of density. The specific weight in the 200 [mm] diameter section of the pipe is 7.85 [N/m3 ]. Find the volumetric flow rates and average velocities in both sections of the pipe.

Homework Equations

[/B]
Ok, so I'm a little confused on what the flow rate of 30 N/s is! I've never seen that combination of units before. Can I divide it by gravity to get the mass flow rate?
You can, but the problem isn't looking for the mass flow rate. The problem gives the specific weight of the air in both sections of the pipe.
When the problem asks for average velocity at inlet and exit, is this a different formula than this one?

Since you are given the specific weight of the air, it's really not necessary to calculate the mass flow rate. You are looking for the volumetric flow rate and the average velocity. The standard continuity equation can be modified to find this information.

It doesn't really matter. You appear to be given the specific weight of the air in each section of the pipe.

Likes jdawg
What continuity equation are you talking about?

jdawg said:
What continuity equation are you talking about?
There's only one: What goes in must come out, or Q = A * V.

Likes jdawg
Ohh ok, thanks!

SteamKing said:
There's only one: What goes in must come out, or Q = A * V.
This equation give the volumetric flow rate, which is not a conserved quantity if the density is changing.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

[/B]

You should really convert the weight rate of flow in N/s to the mass rate of flow in kg/s. You should also convert the specific weights to mass density. Just divide by 9.8 in each case. Then you can use your formula mass flow rate = ##\rho Q=\rho v A##

Chet

Chestermiller said:
This equation give the volumetric flow rate, which is not a conserved quantity if the density is changing.
But you are given the density of the air in each section of the pipe. There is only one weight flow rate of air given for the entrance.

SteamKing said:
But you are given the density of the air in each section of the pipe. There is only one weight flow rate of air given for the entrance.
Are we saying the same thing? I'm saying that Q is not the same at both cross sections.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Are we saying the same thing? I'm saying that Q is not the same at both cross sections.

Chet
That's correct. The reason I advised that calculating mass was unnecessary was that presumably g remains constant throughout the length of this pipe, and since we have a weight density for the air given rather than a mass density, the required information could still be determined using the geometry of the pipe.

SteamKing said:
That's correct. The reason I advised that calculating mass was unnecessary was that presumably g remains constant throughout the length of this pipe, and since we have a weight density for the air given rather than a mass density, the required information could still be determined using the geometry of the pipe.
I guess I was confused by the wording of your response.

Regarding the problem statement, I think it's a bad idea in textbook problems to give the weight rate of flow and the weight density, rather than the mass rate of flow and the mass density. This just confuses novice students. I hope my comments have not rekindled jdawg's confusion.

Likes jdawg
Haha thanks for y'alls help!

1. What is the difference between volumetric flow rate and average velocity in fluid mechanics?

Volumetric flow rate refers to the volume of fluid that passes through a given cross-sectional area per unit time, typically measured in cubic meters per second. Average velocity, on the other hand, is the average speed of the fluid particles as they pass through a particular point, typically measured in meters per second. While volumetric flow rate gives us an idea of the amount of fluid passing through a point, average velocity tells us how fast the fluid is moving.

2. How do you calculate volumetric flow rate?

Volumetric flow rate can be calculated by multiplying the cross-sectional area of the pipe or channel by the average velocity of the fluid. This will give you the volume of fluid passing through that point in a specific time period. For example, if the cross-sectional area is 1 square meter and the average velocity is 2 meters per second, the volumetric flow rate would be 2 cubic meters per second.

3. What factors affect the volumetric flow rate in fluid mechanics?

The volumetric flow rate in fluid mechanics can be affected by several factors, including the size and shape of the pipe or channel, the fluid's viscosity, the pressure difference between the two ends of the pipe, and any obstructions or restrictions in the flow path. In some cases, the fluid's density and temperature can also play a role in determining the volumetric flow rate.

4. How is average velocity different from instantaneous velocity in fluid mechanics?

Average velocity refers to the overall speed of the fluid particles passing through a specific point, while instantaneous velocity refers to the speed of the fluid particles at a particular moment in time. In other words, average velocity takes into account the fluid's movement over a period of time, while instantaneous velocity only considers its speed at a single instant.

5. What is the relationship between volumetric flow rate and average velocity?

The relationship between volumetric flow rate and average velocity can be described by the equation Q = AV, where Q is the volumetric flow rate, A is the cross-sectional area, and V is the average velocity. This equation shows that as the average velocity increases, the volumetric flow rate also increases. However, the cross-sectional area can also affect the volumetric flow rate, with a larger area allowing for a higher flow rate even at a lower average velocity.