[Fluid Mechanics] Water Flow in a Hose

In summary, we have a 15.24m long, 1.6cm diameter hose with a volumetric flowrate of 7.5e-4 m^3/s. The pressure at the outdoor tap is 275.8kPa. By using the Darcy equation and calculating the friction factor, we have determined that the hose has a roughness of 2.34, indicating turbulent flow.
Aprileo

Homework Statement

Given:
Water flows through a 15.24m long, 1.6cm diameter hose.

pressure at the outdoor tap = 275.8kPa

volumetric flowrate, Q = 7.5e-4 m^3/s (i.e. 7.5L for 10 seconds)

viscosity of water, μ = 0.001 Pa*s
density of water, ρ = 1000 kg/m^3

Look for: the roughness of the hose

Homework Equations

Renolds number:
23032e25451927df6094806dcd3ba4dd.png

Darcy equation:
d507bcd5f5091fb94dabf55d828f59a3.png

Moody chart:
800px-Moody_diagram.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I have calculated Renolds number = 7958 ==> turbulent flow

I used Darcy equation and found out the friction factor, f, is great than 1.
I am confused and stuck here.
I must have used the wrong formula or missed some important steps.

Please help me by providing some advice, double checking my work or giving some steps would be greatly appreciated!

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
volumetric flowrate = Q = 7.5e-4 m^3/s
D = diameter = 0.016m
velocity = V =volumetric flow rate/cross sectional area = Q/(pi*D^2*0.25) = 0.497 m/s

density = ρ = 1000kg/m^3
viscosity = μ = 0.001 Pa*s
Renolds number = Re = (density*velocity*diameter)/viscosity = 7958 > 2100 ==> turbulent flow

L = length of the hose = 15.24m
pressure at outdoor tap = ΔP = 275.8kPa
friction factor = f = (2*ΔP*D) / (L*ρ*V^2) = 2.34 ==> doesn't make sense and I'm stuck here.

Check your velocity calculation. I get 3.73 m/s.

Thank you very much, Chestermiller!

you are correct, V = 3.73 m/s,
problem solved.

1. How does the diameter of a hose affect the flow rate of water?

The diameter of a hose has a direct impact on the flow rate of water. The larger the diameter of the hose, the greater the flow rate will be. This is because a larger diameter allows for more water to pass through at a given time, resulting in a faster flow rate.

2. Does the length of the hose affect the velocity of water flowing through it?

Yes, the length of a hose does affect the velocity of water flowing through it. As the length of the hose increases, there is a greater amount of friction between the water and the inner walls of the hose, resulting in a decrease in velocity. This is known as head loss.

3. How does the pressure of the water source impact the flow rate in a hose?

The pressure of the water source has a significant impact on the flow rate in a hose. The higher the pressure of the water source, the greater the flow rate will be. This is because the pressure provides the force needed to push the water through the hose at a faster rate.

4. Can the temperature of the water affect its flow through a hose?

Yes, the temperature of the water can affect its flow through a hose. Warmer water has a lower viscosity, meaning it is thinner and flows more easily, resulting in a faster flow rate. On the other hand, colder water has a higher viscosity and may result in a slower flow rate.

5. How does the shape of a nozzle at the end of a hose impact the flow of water?

The shape of the nozzle at the end of a hose can significantly impact the flow of water. A narrow nozzle will increase the velocity of the water, while a wider nozzle will decrease the velocity. The shape of the nozzle can also affect the pressure and direction of the water flow.