How Do You Calculate the Diameter of a Pipe Constriction in Fluid Dynamics?

In summary, the inside diameter of the constriction in the horizontal pipe can be determined by using the formula P + pgh + 1/2pv^2 = constant and a1v1 = a2v2. By substituting v2 = v1*a1/a2 and solving for v1, we can then use the formula V1 = Q/a1 and substitute that into V1A1 = Q to solve for a2. Q represents the given volumetric flow rate.
pkpiotr517
1. The inside diameters of the larger portions of the horizontal pipe are 2.90 cm. Water flows to the right at a rate of 2.00 10-4 m3/s. Determine the inside diameter of the constriction.

2. P=P0 + pgh
a1v1=a2v2
P + pgh + 1/2pv^2 = constant

3. Since the volumetric flow rate is constant within the big pipe, I used a1v1 = a2v2 in order to solve for the second area of the narrowing pipe. so i have A2= a1v1/v2. Now I don't know exactly where to go from there... I know i could use the formula P+pgh + 1/2pv^2 in order to find the differences in height in the two protruding tubes and solve for the area with that, but I can't seem to link it together, or figure out if I am making any sense...

Attachments

• p9_47.gif
    p9_47.gif
    3 KB · Views: 797
Physics news on Phys.org
P + pgh + 1/2pv^2 = constant

Using the above formula you can write

ρg(h1 - h2) = 1/2*ρ*(v1^2 - v2^2)

Using a1*v1 = a2*v2, substitute v2 = v1*a1/a2 in the above equation and find the expression for v1. Then write v1 = Q/a1 and solve for a2.

Likes jhonb
Okay that makes a lot more sense!

so now i have:

pg(h1+h2)= 1/2p(v1^2 (a1v1/a2)^2)

solved for v1:

V1= (2(h1+h2))/(1-(a1^2/a2^2))^(1/2)

and I plug in v1 into V1A1= Q and get

(2(h1+h2))/(1-(a1^2/a2^2))^(1/2)*(a1)=Q

I don't know how to solve for a2 now... haha

But the one thing that is tricking me is V1=Q/a1 ... what is Q? Is that the volumetric flow rate that they gave me?

Thank you for your help !

1. What are fluids?

Fluids are substances that can flow and take on the shape of their container. They include liquids and gases.

2. What is the difference between a liquid and a gas?

The main difference between a liquid and a gas is the level of molecular organization. Liquids have stronger molecular bonds and are more compact, while gases have weaker bonds and are more spread out.

3. How do you calculate fluid pressure?

Fluid pressure is calculated by dividing the force exerted on a certain area by the area itself. The formula for pressure is P = F/A, where P is pressure, F is force, and A is area.

4. What is the Bernoulli's principle?

Bernoulli's principle states that as the velocity of a fluid increases, the pressure decreases. This is because the kinetic energy of the fluid increases as it moves faster, while its potential energy (pressure) decreases.

5. How does the density of a fluid affect its buoyancy?

The density of a fluid plays a key role in determining its buoyancy. A fluid with higher density will exert more upward force on an object placed in it, making it more buoyant. This is why objects float better in water (higher density) than in air (lower density).