Fluids Problem - Dimensional analysis, pipe flow, propeller

In summary, the conversation discusses a tutorial question about deriving a relation between volume flow rate and the rotational speed of a propeller in a closed, circular sectioned pipe. The participants also discuss using the Buckingham Pi theorem and geometric similarity to find the value of volume flow rate for air. There is a discrepancy in the answer, as the rotational velocity is not squared in the given solution.
elyttle

Homework Statement

I have a tutorial question I have been struggling with. The problem is:

The flow through a closed, circular sectioned pipe may be metered by measuring the speed of
rotation of a propeller having its axis along the pipe central line. Derive a relation between
the volume flow rate and the rotational speed of the propeller in terms of the diameter of the
pipe and the propeller and the density and viscosity of the fluid. A propeller of 75mm diameter
installed in a 150mm pipe carrying water at 42.5 l/s is found to rotate at 20.7rps. If a geometrically similar propeller of 375mm diameter rotates at 10.9rps in air flow through a pipe of
750mm diameter, estimate the volume flow rate of the air. (The air density is 1:28kg/m3 with
viscosity of 1.93E-05 Ns/m2 as and the viscosity of water is 1:145E-03 Ns/m2).

The Attempt at a Solution

I think my main problem is just finding all the pertinent variables to start with. After that I should be able to use the Buckingham Pi theorem, form dimensionless groups the use similarity to find the value of volume flow rate for air.

The variables I can think of are:

Volume flow rate, Q
pipe diameter, D
propeller diameter, d
density, ρ
viscosity, μ
rotational speed, N

I have a feeling I should also include angular velocity or just theta for the angle but I'm can't figure it out.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you have the right idea. Regarding angular velocity, that is proportional to rotational speed N. In my judgement, you have identified all the parameters you need.

Chet

PS, welcome to Physics Forums.

Ok so using the six original variables I listed I formed three Pi terms:

Pi 1: Q/(N)(d3)

Pi 2: D/d

Pi 3: ρN(d2)/μ

From geometric similarity I found the scale is 1:5.

Then just using similarity of Pi 1 with the data given I found Q for air to be 2797.40 l/s.

I thought this seemed high but using similarity of Pi 3 with the given data I worked out the density of water to be 999.34 kg/m3 which makes sense. Is the flow rate right, I thought it should be more complicated.

I got it now, I was right, it just seems high to me when flow rate is in l/s instead of m^3/s. I was really expecting the problem to be more complicated. Thanks for the help.

Confirmation of Answer

elyttle said:
I got it now, I was right, it just seems high to me when flow rate is in l/s instead of m^3/s. I was really expecting the problem to be more complicated. Thanks for the help.

I just finished the exact same problem and I'm having a problem with it.

The value for rotational velocity isn't squared for the answer. The value used is just N and not N^2, can anyone explain this?

It's in this book. The exercise is 5.4 and the answer is at the back.

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=...Q20j_wcof1tuVmCon-smR1w&bvm=bv.64125504,d.ZGU

1. What is dimensional analysis and why is it important in fluid dynamics?

Dimensional analysis is a mathematical technique used to analyze and understand the relationships between different physical quantities in a system. In fluid dynamics, dimensional analysis is important because it allows us to simplify complex equations and determine the important parameters that affect fluid flow.

2. How does pipe diameter affect fluid flow?

The diameter of a pipe has a significant impact on the flow rate and pressure of a fluid. As the diameter increases, the flow rate also increases, but the pressure decreases. This is because a larger diameter pipe has a larger cross-sectional area, allowing more fluid to flow through at a given time.

3. What is the Bernoulli's principle and how does it relate to propeller design?

The Bernoulli's principle states that as the velocity of a fluid increases, its pressure decreases. In propeller design, this principle is used to create lift by increasing the velocity of air above the propeller, creating a lower pressure and allowing the propeller to move upwards.

4. What factors affect the efficiency of a propeller?

The efficiency of a propeller is affected by several factors, including the shape of the blades, the pitch of the blades, the speed of rotation, and the density of the fluid. A more streamlined blade shape and a higher pitch can increase efficiency, while a higher density fluid can decrease efficiency.

5. How does fluid viscosity affect pipe flow?

Fluid viscosity, or the resistance of a fluid to flow, has a direct impact on pipe flow. A more viscous fluid will have a lower flow rate and higher pressure compared to a less viscous fluid at the same pipe diameter and flow rate. This is because the viscous fluid experiences more friction with the walls of the pipe, slowing down its flow.