Flux pinning effect and hysteresis loop

In summary, the conversation discussed an experimental course that requires conducting experiments, specifically demonstrating the flux pinning effect of a type II superconductor by magnetic levitation. The professor requested a discussion of this effect using the hysteresis loop in the lab report. The individual expressed difficulty finding information on this topic and sought direction for their report. They later discovered that when the magnetic field exceeds a critical value, flux will penetrate the solid and cause a drop in magnetization.
Mayan Fung
I am taking an experimental course which requires us to conduct experiments by ourselves. One of the tasks is to demonstrate the flux pinning effect of a type II superconductor YBCO by magnetic levitation. The professor asked me to discuss the effect by using the hysteresis loop (magnetization vs B-field) in the lab report.

I tried to search for information on Google but I cannot find articles discussing the relationships between them. I wonder in what direction I can discuss it in my lab report?

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh, I think I got the answer. When the magnetic field is larger than the critical value, flux starts to penetrate the solid and the magnetization will drop. Thanks all!

1. What is the flux pinning effect?

The flux pinning effect refers to the phenomenon where superconducting materials are able to hold magnetic fields in place due to the presence of defects or imperfections in their crystal structure. This allows them to maintain their superconducting state even in the presence of an external magnetic field.

2. How does the flux pinning effect work?

The flux pinning effect works by trapping magnetic flux lines within the superconductor's crystal lattice. The defects or impurities in the crystal create energy barriers that prevent the flux lines from moving freely, thus locking them in place. This allows the superconductor to maintain its superconducting state even in the presence of a magnetic field.

3. What is a hysteresis loop in relation to the flux pinning effect?

A hysteresis loop is a graphical representation of the relationship between the magnetic field and the current in a superconductor. It shows the behavior of the superconductor when it is subjected to an increasing and decreasing magnetic field. The area within the loop represents the energy dissipated by the superconductor due to flux pinning.

4. How does the hysteresis loop change with temperature?

The hysteresis loop becomes smaller and eventually disappears as the temperature of the superconductor increases. This is because as the temperature increases, the energy barriers within the crystal lattice become weaker, allowing the flux lines to move more freely. This reduces the amount of energy dissipated by the superconductor and results in a smaller hysteresis loop.

5. What are the applications of the flux pinning effect and hysteresis loop?

The flux pinning effect and hysteresis loop have many practical applications, such as in magnetic levitation trains, MRI machines, and particle accelerators. They are also used in the development of superconducting magnets, which are used in various industries, including medical, transportation, and energy. Additionally, the study of these effects can also lead to advancements in materials science and electronics.