Flux Pinning/Heat Generation in Type II Superconductors

In summary, the movement of flux tubes in type II superconductors generates heat through the Joule heating effect and eddy currents. Impurities in the material act as pinning centers for the flux tubes, preventing them from moving and dissipating energy. This is due to the interaction between the impurities and the magnetic field created by the flux tubes, creating a potential energy barrier. For further reading, suggested papers include S. B. Fields' "Flux Pinning in Type II Superconductors" and W. M. Visscher's "Flux Pinning in Type II Superconductors".
DukeLuke
I don't understand the mechanism by which "flux tubes" create heat, and are pinned by impurities in a type II superconductor. When Bc1<B<Bc2 I understand magnetic flux will penetrate the material in the form of flux tubes. Then the current in the superconductor exerts a force on these tubes driving them through the material and generating heat. My first question is how does this movement create heat. It's not apparent to me why this is the case.

I also understand these tubes are "pinned" by impurities in the material (stopping their movement). I don't understand how these impurities keep the flux from moving. I know in the case of NbTi the Ti precipitates are responsible for blocking the flux movement, but I'm not sure how they do it. I'm having a hard time finding resources to answer these questions, so suggestions on papers/books would be great if this post is too much to answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
The mechanism by which flux tubes create heat in type II superconductors is through the Joule heating effect. When a current flows through a material, it creates an electrical resistance, which results in a conversion of some of the energy from the current into thermal energy. In type II superconductors, the current is confined to the flux tubes due to the strong repulsive force between them and the superconductor. The movement of these flux tubes within the superconductor generates eddy currents, which results in an additional conversion of energy into thermal energy. The impurities in the material act as pinning centers for the flux tubes, preventing them from moving and dissipating energy. The pinning forces are generated by the interaction between the impurities and the magnetic field created by the flux tubes. This interaction creates a potential energy barrier that prevents the flux tubes from moving. For more information on this topic, please see the following papers: 1. S. B. Fields, “Flux Pinning in Type II Superconductors”, Journal of Low Temperature Physics, vol. 19, pp. 301-325 (1975).2. W. M. Visscher, “Flux Pinning in Type II Superconductors”, Reviews of Modern Physics, vol. 65, pp. 883-919 (1993).

1. What is flux pinning in superconductors?

Flux pinning is a phenomenon in which magnetic flux lines become trapped or "pinned" in a superconductor, preventing the material from losing its superconducting properties in the presence of an external magnetic field.

2. How does flux pinning affect heat generation in type II superconductors?

Flux pinning can lead to an increase in heat generation in type II superconductors because the trapped flux lines can create areas of increased resistance, causing the material to dissipate more heat. This is known as flux creep.

3. What factors can influence the strength of flux pinning in superconductors?

The strength of flux pinning in superconductors can be influenced by factors such as the type and purity of the material, the strength and direction of the external magnetic field, and the temperature of the superconductor.

4. How can flux pinning be utilized in practical applications?

Flux pinning has many practical applications, including in the development of high-performance superconducting magnets used in MRI machines and in particle accelerators. It can also be used in levitation devices, where the pinned flux lines can create a stable magnetic field that can support the weight of an object.

5. What are some challenges in studying flux pinning and heat generation in type II superconductors?

One of the main challenges in studying flux pinning and heat generation in type II superconductors is the complexity of the interactions between the superconducting material and the external magnetic field. Additionally, the effects of temperature and material impurities can make it difficult to accurately measure and predict flux pinning behavior.