Focal length of a distorted window

In summary, the focal length of a dewar window distorted by a pressure difference can be calculated using the thin lens equation. However, there is a practical aspect to consider as well, where the window will still behave as a window if you are about halfway inside the focal length. Beyond that, the window will act as a lens and produce an image.
AaronBurr

Homework Statement

1. What is the focal length of a dewar window distorted by a pressure difference? As a result of the pressure difference, the radius of the first surface of the window is R1 = 100 meters. The window is 3 mm thick, with an index n = 4 at l = 4 um.

Homework Equations

I think I can just use the thin lens equation? 1/f=(n-1)/R

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
My concern with using the thin lens equation is I'm not sure if a distorted window creates a lens? I know the focal length of a window is naturally infinite. If its bent does it then act as a lens? If not what formula do I use to prove it still acts as a window?Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
This is an excellent problem in that it teaches you practical applications. Basically, you still have a window if you are about 1/2 way, inside of the focal length. And that is, from a practical aspect, a window. However, crank out the numbers and you find that if you are far enough away (and with a good magnifying device, not sure what is applicable, Cause I didn't crunch the numbers either, maybe binoculars, maybe a large telescope), you will see an image, because it will behave like a lens past its focal point (at that distance, you may have trouble finding the focal point, hence the calculation).

Related to Focal length of a distorted window

What is the focal length of a distorted window?

The focal length of a distorted window is the distance between the window and the point where the light rays converge to form a clear image.

How is the focal length of a distorted window determined?

The focal length of a distorted window can be determined by measuring the distance between the window and the point where a clear image is formed. This can be done using a lens or a ruler.

What factors can affect the focal length of a distorted window?

The shape and size of the window, as well as the material it is made of, can affect the focal length. Other factors such as the angle of incidence and the refractive index of the material can also have an impact.

Can the focal length of a distorted window be adjusted?

Yes, the focal length of a distorted window can be adjusted by changing the angle of incidence or by using corrective lenses to manipulate the light rays passing through the window.

Why is knowing the focal length of a distorted window important?

Knowing the focal length of a distorted window can help in understanding the properties of light and how it interacts with different materials. It can also aid in designing and constructing optical devices such as cameras, telescopes, and microscopes.