Focal Length of Lens: Solving for f with Object and Image Distances

In summary, the focal length (in centimeters) of a lens can be determined by using the equation 1/f = 1/di + 1/do, where di is the distance of the image and do is the distance of the object. When the image distance is negative, as in this case, the correct approach is to use the negative value in the equation. The calculated result may vary slightly depending on how many significant figures are reported, but a value of -1.70 cm should be accepted as the correct answer.
sp1974
The homework problem is "An object 26.0 cm in front of a certain lens is imaged 1.60 cm in front of that lens (on the same side as the object). What is the focal length (in centimeters) of this lens"

1/f = 1/di + 1/do

I tried solving based on having distance of object (do) and distance of image (di) so 1/26 + 1/1.6 = 1/f and I solved for f coming up with 1.51 cm. I also tried with -1.6 since they are on the same side coming up with -1.71 and the computer doesn't accept either

Physics news on Phys.org
sp1974 said:
I tried solving based on having distance of object (do) and distance of image (di) so 1/26 + 1/1.6 = 1/f and I solved for f coming up with 1.51 cm. I also tried with -1.6 since they are on the same side coming up with -1.71 and the computer doesn't accept either
The image distance is negative (in the usual sign convention), so that is the correct approach.

so if I am understanding 1/26 + 1/-1.6 = 1/f and I should come up with -1.705 cm? It looks right but thinking the computer is being picky like my other answer

yeah its picky. I have put in 1.7, 1.71 1.705 and nothing. It does it everyonce in a while. I show teacher and all will be good. Thanks!

You might also try -1.70, that is the answer (-1.7049... cm) rounded to 3 sig figs.

Good luck!

Related to Focal Length of Lens: Solving for f with Object and Image Distances

1. What is focal length and why is it important?

Focal length is the distance between the center of a lens and the point where light rays converge to form a sharp image. It is an important factor in determining the magnification and field of view of a lens.

2. How is focal length measured?

Focal length is typically measured in millimeters (mm) and can be found on the lens itself or in the lens specifications. It is the distance from the optical center of the lens to the focal point when the lens is focused on infinity.

3. Does focal length affect image quality?

Yes, focal length can affect image quality in various ways. A longer focal length can result in a narrower depth of field, making it easier to achieve a blurred background. However, longer focal lengths can also magnify camera shake and decrease image sharpness.

4. How does focal length impact perspective in photography?

Focal length has a significant impact on perspective in photography. A shorter focal length (wider angle) can create a sense of depth and make objects appear further away, while a longer focal length (telephoto) can compress the scene and make objects appear closer together.

5. Can I change the focal length of my lens?

It depends on the type of lens you have. Some lenses have a fixed focal length (prime lenses) and cannot be changed, while others have a variable focal length (zoom lenses) that can be adjusted. Zoom lenses allow for more versatility in composition, but prime lenses often have better image quality.