Is Pursuing a Second Master's Degree in the Same Field Worthwhile?

• Thread starter leon1127
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Master
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of acquiring a second master's degree for the same major from a different university and the potential challenges of obtaining a PhD. The individual is considering attending a fast track master's program at their current school, which is not highly regarded in their field, and then transferring to a better school. They also mention concerns about finding a job with a PhD and do not want to pursue it unless necessary. The speaker asks for any thoughts or if anyone has knowledge on the subject.
leon1127
it is simple. Can I acquire second master degree for the same major from different college. I thought of this question because my school offering fast track master in Maths, but it is not a really good Maths school. I want to finish my master there quick, then go study at a better school.
I have heard that PhD has a really hard time to find a job simply because PhD demands really high salary and not many jobs really need a PhD degree. Therefore, i do not want to get a PhD degree until i am required to do so.

Any thought shall be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone knows?

I can't think of any reason you can't get a second master's at another university. Assuming its accreditted, I really can't think of any reason that would be a problem.

Related to Is Pursuing a Second Master's Degree in the Same Field Worthwhile?

1. What is a master in science?

A master in science is a graduate degree that focuses on a specific scientific field, such as biology, chemistry, or physics. It typically requires 1-2 years of additional study after obtaining a bachelor's degree and involves coursework, research, and a thesis or project.

2. What is the difference between a master's degree and a Ph.D.?

A master's degree is an advanced academic degree that can be pursued after obtaining a bachelor's degree. It typically takes 1-2 years to complete and focuses on a specific field of study. A Ph.D., on the other hand, is a doctoral degree that is the highest level of academic achievement. It typically takes 4-6 years to complete and involves original research and a dissertation.

3. Can I get into a master's program without a science background?

It depends on the specific program and university. Some master's programs may require a science background or a related field of study, while others may have prerequisites or offer bridging courses for students without a science background. It is best to check with the program you are interested in to see their specific requirements.

4. What can I do with a master's degree in science?

A master's degree in science can open up many career opportunities in both the private and public sectors. Some common career paths include working in research and development, teaching, consulting, and science communication. It can also serve as a stepping stone for pursuing a Ph.D. or other advanced degrees.

5. How much does a master's degree in science cost?

The cost of a master's degree in science varies depending on the university, program, and location. On average, it can range from $20,000 to $40,000 per year for tuition and fees. However, this can be significantly higher for international students and may also vary based on financial aid and scholarships. It is best to research and compare the costs of different programs before making a decision.