What research fields in physics are you working in?

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of who should respond to a poll about working in physics research and the different areas of expertise that the participants have. Some are currently working in academia, while others are in research organizations or industry. The fields of research mentioned include applied nuclear and condensed matter physics, computational dynamics of dislocations, scattering processes, photoacoustic spectroscopy, and surface plasmons. The conversation also mentions experience in electronic, optical, thermal, imaging, ranging, and precision calibration design, as well as manufacturing process redesign. Overall, the participants have a wide range of expertise in various fields of physics research.
StatGuy2000
Education Advisor
Hi everyone. I thought I would pose the question in the title to those on Physics Forums that are currently working in physics research (either as faculty, postdoctoral fellows, or graduate students).

I was thinking of setting up a poll, but the last time I had asked a similar question I received so much flak for missing research fields that an open-ended response would be better.

Anyways, I am looking forward to the responses!

Physics news on Phys.org
Not in academia. I'm a nuke in Ontario, Canada.

StatGuy2000 said:
(either as faculty, postdoctoral fellows, or graduate students).
Does one want to limit the responses to those in academia either faculty or students? What about research organizations and industry outside of academia.

In my case, it's applied nuclear and condensed matter physics - looking at radiation effects in materials, and computational physics related to neutron, photon and electron transport in materials and their consequential effects on the materials, not to mention the other aspects of heat transport and mechanical response to stress.

Last edited:
Likes hutchphd, DeBangis21 and berkeman
In academia long ago on a planet far far away I did
  1. computational dynamics of dislocations in solids,
  2. theory of scattering low energy things from surfaces smooth,rough, and periodic
  3. resonant scattering processes
  4. photoacoustic spectroscopy
  5. surface plasmons for medical detectors
In industry and academic collaboration I have done electronic, optical, thermal, imaging, ranging and precision calibration design as well as statistical process control thereof and manufacturing process redesign when badly needed. I also got very good at making optically correct skin "phantoms" both on the bench and in the computer. I got paid for this ! How lucky can a person be....

Likes DeBangis21, berkeman and Astronuc

1. What is your specific area of research within physics?

As a scientist, I specialize in the field of quantum mechanics, specifically studying the behavior and properties of subatomic particles.

2. How does your research contribute to the overall understanding of physics?

My research helps to further our understanding of the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of matter and energy in the universe.

3. What techniques or methods do you use in your research?

I use a combination of mathematical modeling, computer simulations, and experimental data analysis to study and analyze the behavior of subatomic particles.

4. What are some recent developments or findings in your research field?

Recently, my research has focused on the development of quantum computers and the potential applications of quantum entanglement in information processing and communication.

5. How does your research have real-world applications?

While my research may seem abstract, it has practical applications in fields such as cryptography, material science, and telecommunications. Additionally, understanding the behavior of subatomic particles can also lead to advancements in energy production and medical imaging.