Force between two current carrying wires

In summary, there is a similar rule to calculate the force in this case, known as Fleming's left hand rule. However, the force may be 0 if the wires are perpendicular to each other. To calculate the force between two current carrying wires, you can use a right hand rule to determine the field direction and then imagine a positive charge moving in the wire to determine the direction of the force it would feel.
Shivansh Mathur
image.jpeg

I've learned how to know the direction of force on a current carrying conductor when placed in a magnetic field.( Fleming's left hand rule)

Is there a similar rule to calculate the force in this case? Or should the force be 0 since the wires are perpendicular to each other?

In general, how to calculate force between two current carrying wires?

Looking forward to some guidance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the force on PQ is "down" the page. Using right hand rule.

Last edited:
Hi Shivansh,

Please remember to use the formatting template for posts in the homework areas.

You can use a right hand rule to establish the field direction due to the XY current at locations along PQ. Then imagine a current carrier (a positive charge) moving in PQ according to the current in that wire. Use a right hand rule to determine the force direction that the moving charge would feel.

Re-drawing the setup so that the current ##I## in XY is flowing into the page, the field lines form circular paths around it:

Fig1.png

As you can see, a positive current carrier (moving charge) in current ##i## along PQ will feel a force as determined by the right hand rule. The force on a given charge will vary with the strength of the field (distance from the current ##I##).

Related to Force between two current carrying wires

What is the force between two current carrying wires?

The force between two current carrying wires is the attractive or repulsive force that exists between the two wires due to the interaction of their magnetic fields.

What factors affect the force between two current carrying wires?

The force between two current carrying wires is affected by the distance between the wires, the magnitude of the current in each wire, and the direction of the current flow in each wire.

What is the mathematical equation for calculating the force between two current carrying wires?

The mathematical equation for calculating the force between two current carrying wires is F = (μ0 * I1 * I2 * L) / (2π * d), where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I1 and I2 are the currents in each wire, L is the length of the wires, and d is the distance between the wires.

What is the direction of the force between two current carrying wires?

The direction of the force between two current carrying wires is determined by the right hand rule. If the currents in the wires are in the same direction, the wires will experience an attractive force. If the currents are in opposite directions, the wires will experience a repulsive force.

What practical applications does the force between two current carrying wires have?

The force between two current carrying wires has practical applications in devices such as motors, generators, and transformers. It is also used in the construction of circuit breakers and electromagnets.