Force felt by the accelerometer in a smartphone

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between acceleration, force, and mass in a smartphone with an accelerometer. It is agreed that the phone and proof mass feel the same acceleration, but because the phone has a larger mass, it experiences less force. It is also noted that if the phone rotates, the situation becomes more complex. Additionally, it is mentioned that the iPhone was the first phone to have an accelerometer, which helps adjust the phone's orientation.
Edge5
My smartphone has an accelerometer inside it. Does the phone itself and the proof mass of the accelerometer feel the same acceleration OR do they feel the same force, when I apply a force to my phone?

I think they feel the same acceleration, F=ma. Force felt by proof mass and the force felt by the smartphone should be different right? I think smartphone experiences less force then the proof mass of the accelerometer since it has a larger mass.

Physics news on Phys.org
Edge5 said:
I think they feel the same acceleration, F=ma. Force felt by proof mass and the force felt by the smartphone should be different right? I think smartphone experiences less force then the proof mass of the accelerometer since it has a larger mass.
Correct. But note that if the phone also rotates, then it gets more complicated.

Likes Edge5
Edge5 said:
My smartphone has an accelerometer inside it. Does the phone itself and the proof mass of the accelerometer feel the same acceleration OR do they feel the same force, when I apply a force to my phone?

Since the smart phone contains the accelerometer and the accelerometer contains the proof mass, it is clear that the smart phone is more massive than the proof mass. Accordingly, it must be subject to a larger force in order to undergo an identical [or at least very similar] acceleration.

Actually Iphone is the first accelerometer Key feature. It helps to angle orientation of mobile phone

1. What is an accelerometer and how does it work?

An accelerometer is a sensor that measures acceleration forces. It works by using a small mass suspended by springs that moves in response to acceleration. This movement is then converted into an electrical signal that can be measured.

2. What forces can an accelerometer detect?

An accelerometer can detect both linear and rotational forces. This means it can measure forces such as gravity, acceleration, and vibration.

3. How does the accelerometer in a smartphone detect the force of gravity?

The accelerometer in a smartphone uses a small mass and a set of springs to detect the force of gravity. When the phone is at rest, the mass is pulled down by gravity and the springs are compressed. This compression is measured by the sensor and used to determine the force of gravity.

4. Can the accelerometer in a smartphone measure the force of impact?

Yes, the accelerometer in a smartphone can measure the force of impact. When the phone experiences a sudden change in velocity, the accelerometer detects this change and can calculate the force of impact based on the mass and acceleration of the phone.

5. How accurate is the force measurement of the accelerometer in a smartphone?

The accuracy of the force measurement of an accelerometer in a smartphone can vary depending on factors such as the quality of the sensor, calibration, and external factors like temperature and humidity. Generally, the force measurement can be accurate within a few percentage points.