Force Free Motion of a Symmetric Top: Direction of phi dot

In summary, The conversation discusses breaking down the vector omega into x3 and x3' axes and the resulting rotations. It is mentioned that breaking it down into x3 and the perpendicular axis results in two rotations, one about x3' and one about the 'horizontal axis'. It is also suggested that after a small time, the rod would have moved both into and out of the page due to these rotations. However, breaking it down into just x3 and x3' does not result in this movement.
kennethellen
Homework Statement
The following question is example 11.12 from Classical Dynamics of Particles and Systems by Thornton.

For a force free symmetric top with what angular velocity does the symmetry axis x_3 and omega rotate about the fixed angular momentum L?

I had no trouble finding the magnitude of the angular velocity about L, phi dot, however I cannot figure out the direction of phi dot. Since phi dot is the rotation about L I figured that the phi dot would be directed along the axis where L lies but apparently this is incorrect as it would make phi dot indistinguishable from omega. My second guess is that it would be directed along omega but I cannot think of a reason to justify this answer.

My professor told me to try and express phi dot in terms of its vector components to try and see the dependencies and relations. I did that but I still don't understand where phi dot is supposed to be directed towards.
Relevant Equations
The given figures and the solution from the book are attached. As well as my attempt at expressing phi dot in terms of its vector components.

Attachments

• top.png
    top.png
    8.8 KB · Views: 477
Physics news on Phys.org
i am no expert but i will try
i think what he meant is to break omega into x3 axes and x3'axes
you get two rotations about x3 axis and about x3'.
if instead you break omega into x3 axis and the axis perpendicular to it you get two rotations one about the x3' axis and and one about the 'horizontal axis' the rotation
i am guessing on this one if after a small time the rod would have moved a little bit into the page due to x3' rotation but at the same time a little bit out of the page due to the horizontal rotation
dont hold me on this though meanwhile in the if you break into x3 and x3' you don't get this

1. What is force free motion of a symmetric top?

Force free motion of a symmetric top refers to the movement of a rigid body with three equal moments of inertia, such as a spinning top, in the absence of any external forces. This means that the top will continue to rotate at a constant speed without any additional forces acting on it.

2. What is the direction of phi dot in force free motion of a symmetric top?

The direction of phi dot, or the rotation rate about the symmetry axis, is perpendicular to the plane of the top's rotation. This means that it is pointing either towards or away from the observer, depending on the direction of rotation.

3. How does the direction of phi dot affect the motion of a symmetric top?

The direction of phi dot determines the orientation of the top as it rotates. When phi dot is pointing towards the observer, the top is rotating clockwise. When phi dot is pointing away from the observer, the top is rotating counterclockwise.

4. What is the relationship between phi dot and the top's angular momentum in force free motion?

Phi dot is directly proportional to the top's angular momentum in force free motion. This means that as the top's rotation rate increases, so does its angular momentum. Similarly, as the rotation rate decreases, so does the angular momentum.

5. Can the direction of phi dot change in force free motion?

Yes, the direction of phi dot can change in force free motion. This can happen if there is a slight asymmetry in the top's shape or weight distribution, causing it to precess or wobble slightly. However, the overall motion of the top will still be force free, meaning that the rotation rate and angular momentum will remain constant.