Force & Impulse: A Summary of Equations & Concepts

In summary, impulse is a vector quantity that measures the change in momentum over time and is equal to the integral of force over time. It can also be measured as the total force applied over a period of time. For constant force, impulse is equal to force times time, while for varying force, it is the integral of force over time. The impulse-momentum theorem states that impulse is equal to the change in momentum. It is also important in measuring the efficiency of rocket and jet engines through specific impulse, which is impulse per mass of propellant.
Definition/Summary

Force = impulse per time: [itex]\mathbf{F}\ =\ d\mathbf{I}/dt[/itex].

For constant force, impulse = force times time: [itex]\mathbf{I}\ =\ \mathbf{F}\,\Delta t[/itex] (by comparison, work done = force "dot" distance: [itex]W\ =\ \mathbf{F}\cdot \Delta\mathbf{s}[/itex]).

For varying force, impulse is the integral of force over time: [itex]\mathbf{I}\ =\ \int\mathbf{F}\,dt[/itex] (and work done is the integral of force over distance: [itex]W\ =\ \int\mathbf{F}\cdot d\mathbf{s}[/itex]).

Newton's second law (force = rate of change of momentum: [itex]\mathbf{F}\ =\ d(m\mathbf{v})/dt[/itex]) integrated over time becomes:

impulse = total change of momentum: [itex]\mathbf{I}\ =\ \int d(m\mathbf{v})/dt\,dt\ =\ \int d(m\mathbf{v})\ =\ \Delta(m\mathbf{v})[/itex].

Impulse is a vector, with the same dimensions as momentum: [itex]ML/T[/itex], and is measured in units of Newton seconds ([itex]N.s\text{, or }kg\,m\,s^{-1}[/itex]).

Equations

[tex]\mathbf{F}\ =\ \frac{d\mathbf{I}}{dt}[/tex]

[tex]\mathbf{I}\ =\ \int\mathbf{F}\,dt[/tex]

Impulse-momentum theorem:

[tex]\mathbf{I}\ =\ \int\frac{d(m\mathbf{v})}{dt}\,dt\ =\ \int d(m\mathbf{v})\ =\ \Delta(m\mathbf{v})[/tex]

Extended explanation

Impulse is sometimes easier to measure:

When, for example, a bat hits a ball, it is is contact with the ball for a substantial time, and the force changes considerably during that time.

It is not usually practical to measure the instantaneous force, and it is not usually helpful to try to integrate it even if it is known, so instead the "total" force applied is measured, and that is the impulse. :wink:

Specific impulse:

Specific impulse is impulse per mass of propellant (fuel).

It equals change in momentum per mass of propellant, and so measures the efficiency of rocket and jet engines.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specific_impulse.

(This is rocket science! :wink:)​

* This entry is from our old Library feature. If you know who wrote it, please let us know so we can attribute a writer. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the great explanation! This is really helpful for understanding the concept of impulse. It's also interesting to learn about specific impulse and how it relates to rocket science.

1. What is force?

Force is a physical quantity that describes the interaction between two objects. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, and it is measured in newtons (N).

2. What is impulse?

Impulse is the change in momentum of an object and is equal to the force applied over a certain period of time. It is a vector quantity and is measured in newton-seconds (N·s).

3. How is force related to impulse?

Force and impulse are directly related. The greater the force applied over a longer period of time, the greater the impulse will be. This can be mathematically represented by the equation Impulse = Force x Time.

4. What are some real-life examples of force and impulse?

Examples of force and impulse can be seen in many everyday scenarios, such as kicking a soccer ball, throwing a baseball, or braking a car. In each of these situations, a force is applied to an object over a certain period of time, resulting in a change in the object's momentum.

5. How is the concept of force and impulse used in science and engineering?

The concept of force and impulse is used extensively in fields such as physics, engineering, and biomechanics. It is essential for understanding the motion of objects and designing structures and machines that can withstand external forces. It is also used in analyzing collisions and determining the effectiveness of safety measures.