Force of a block on an incline above a horizontal

In summary, the problem involves a block with a mass of 4.30 kg and an applied force of 31.2 N directed at 38.0˚ above the horizontal. The question asks for the magnitude of the normal force acting on the block, which can be found using the equation Fnormal = m*g*cos(theta). The calculated answer is 22.9N, which is different from the answer provided on the solutions page. The conversation also includes a question about uploading the homework sheet and a discussion about calculating the net force and the direction of frictional force.
TheFlemster

Homework Statement

The block shown in figure #1 above has a mass of 4.30 kg. The applied force F has a magnitude of 31.2 N and is directed at 38.0˚ above the horizontal frictionless surface the block in on. What is the magnitude of the normal force that acts on the block?

Homework Equations

Fnormal = m*g*cos(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

I get 40.2 N. The answer of our solutions page is 22.9N

What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
TheFlemster said:
What am I doing wrong?
We could help you if you posted the figure so we wouldn't have to guess.

how do i upload the homework sheet?

TheFlemster said:
how do i upload the homework sheet?
First get a good quality and easily legible picture. Then click the "UPLOAD" button on the lower right.

ok this is the sheet. Its problem 1

Attachments

• Chapter 4 Part B (2) (1).pdf
    92.5 KB · Views: 190
TheFlemster said:
I get 40.2 N. The answer of our solutions page is 22.9N
Can you show us how you got this answer? We cannot tell what you are doing wrong just by looking at one number.

I actually figured it out. I did: (4.30)(9.80)-F31.2sin(38) = 22.9N
How would I acquire the net force?

31.2N is the applied force given in the problem.

TheFlemster said:
I actually figured it out. I did: (4.30)(9.80)-F31.2sin(38) = 22.9N
Very good.
TheFlemster said:
How would I acquire the net force?
Add all the forces in the horizontal direction to get the horizontal component of the net force.
Add all the forces in the vertical direction to get the vertical component of the net force.

Ok so i figured out all of number 1 and parts a,b,c, and d on number 2. Part e on number 2 is asking for the firctional force that acts on the block, i did 21.5N(cos(29.4)) = 18.7N. the answer is -18.7N. I know how to work it, but i do not understand why the frictional force is negative?

The force of kinetic friction is always opposite to the velocity. Here the velocity is to the right, in the conventional positive direction. Therefore, the force of kinetic friction is in the negative direction to the left.

When you are calculating the net force you do a vector addition. For example, if vector A is to the right and vector B is to the left and they add up to zero, you would write ##\vec{A} + \vec{B} =0##. Now it is also true that ##\vec{A} = A \hat{i}## and ##\vec{B} = -B \hat{i}## where A and B are the magnitudes of the vectors. Thus, you have ##A \hat{i} +(-B \hat{i})=0## which simplifies to the following relation between magnitudes ##A - B = 0##. See how it works?

Likes TheFlemster

1. What is the force of a block on an incline above a horizontal?

The force of a block on an incline above a horizontal is the force exerted by the block on the incline due to the gravitational force acting on the block. This force is known as the weight of the block and is equal to the mass of the block multiplied by the acceleration due to gravity.

2. How is the force of a block on an incline above a horizontal calculated?

The force of a block on an incline above a horizontal can be calculated using the formula F = mg sinθ, where F is the force, m is the mass of the block, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the incline.

3. Does the angle of the incline affect the force of the block?

Yes, the angle of the incline does affect the force of the block. As the angle increases, the force of the block will also increase. This can be seen in the formula F = mg sinθ, where sinθ increases as the angle increases.

4. How does the weight of the block affect the force on an incline above a horizontal?

The weight of the block directly affects the force on an incline above a horizontal. The greater the weight of the block, the greater the force will be on the incline. This is because the weight of the block is directly proportional to the force of the block on the incline.

5. Can the force of a block on an incline above a horizontal be greater than the weight of the block?

Yes, the force of a block on an incline above a horizontal can be greater than the weight of the block. This can occur if there is an additional force acting on the block, such as a pushing or pulling force. In this case, the total force on the block will be greater than the weight of the block alone.