Force of an electromagnet question

In summary, the force exerted by a solenoid on a ferrous piece of metal at a distance of 0 meters is infinite, according to the equation provided. However, in order to accurately calculate the force, the length of the solenoid, the length of the metal object, and the magnetic pressure must also be considered.
radaballer

Homework Statement

A solenoid which is 0 meters away from a ferrous piece of metal exerts how much force on it? there is 0.42 amps, and 1000 turns in the coil. the cross-sectional area is 2.8502e-4 meters^2

Homework Equations

Force = ((N x I)^2 x k x A) / (2 x g^2)

N = the number of turns in the solenoid
I = the current, in amperes (A), running through the solenoid
A = the cross-sectional area, in meters-squared, of the solenoidal magnet
g = the distance, in meters, between the magnet and the piece of metal
k = 4 x pi x 10^-7

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure how to attempt seeing that the 0 meters of separation would cause the force to be infinite according to the equation

Physics news on Phys.org
Make sure you understand the equation and how it is applied.
Where did you get that equation - what is that part of your notes talking about?

Hint: magnetic pressure = energy density.

You also need to know the length of the solenoid. And finally you either have to know the length of the metallic object, or assume it is very long.

Last edited:

1. What is the force of an electromagnet?

The force of an electromagnet is the strength of the magnetic field produced by the electromagnet. It is affected by factors such as the number of turns in the coil, the strength of the current flowing through the coil, and the material of the core.

2. How is the force of an electromagnet calculated?

The force of an electromagnet can be calculated using the equation F = N * I * B, where N is the number of turns in the coil, I is the current flowing through the coil, and B is the strength of the magnetic field.

3. What factors affect the force of an electromagnet?

The force of an electromagnet can be affected by the number of turns in the coil, the strength of the current flowing through the coil, the material of the core, and the distance between the electromagnet and the object it is attracting.

4. How can the force of an electromagnet be increased?

The force of an electromagnet can be increased by increasing the number of turns in the coil, increasing the strength of the current flowing through the coil, or using a stronger material for the core. Additionally, reducing the distance between the electromagnet and the object it is attracting can also increase the force.

5. What are some real-world applications of the force of an electromagnet?

The force of an electromagnet has many practical applications, such as in cranes and lifts used to move heavy objects, magnetic separators used to separate metals, and MRI machines used in medical imaging. It is also used in everyday household items such as speakers, doorbells, and electric motors.