Force on a permanent magnet from an electromagnet

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential for a permanent ring magnet, B2, floating freely on a fixed electromagnetic coil, B1, to experience a strong magnetic torque and rotate if the two fields are perpendicular to each other. The speaker asks for clarification on the formula for calculating the force in this scenario, mentioning the small distances involved and the possibility of a cos or tan function being necessary. The other person explains that two completely orthogonal fields do not interact, but even the slightest change in angle can change this. They also use an analogy of a ball balanced on the tip of a cone to describe the potential instability of the magnet in this scenario.
Chris Fuccillo
Hi again and thank you again for the help

If I have two magnetic fields, one permanent ring magnet B2 free floating on a fixed electromagnetic coil B1 and the field are perpendicular 90 deg to each other will the free floating permanent ring magnet feel a strong magnetic torque and rotate? Ever where I read so far as long as there is a gradient or the field is at an angle greater than 0 deg there is force/torque on the ring magnet. I have not seen an example where the fields are at 90 deg/perpendicular is this special case like when the fields are at 0 deg/ parallel?

B2 = permanent magnetic

B1 = electromagnet coil

F1 = Force/magnetic torque

B2 ↑ B1→ =F1↗

Or

B2 ↓ B1→ =F1↘
If the above is true can you point me to the proper formula for calculating the force. When it comes to the magnetic fields, the distances in the calculations are in millimeters and fractions of a millimeters. I believe this leaves me stuck using formula correct? F(x)= (3μₒ/π) *m1*m1* (1/xˆ4). I think there should be a cos or tan function to it where I am at 90 deg now

Engineering news on Phys.org
Off the top of my head the magnet is marginally stable. This is like a ball balanced on the tip of a cone. It will stay there until the slightest breeze starts tipping it one way or the other. Then it falls.

Since fields are linear, two fields completely orthogonal to one another don't really interact. But tip one just a little and that's not true anymore.

What is the force on a permanent magnet from an electromagnet?

The force on a permanent magnet from an electromagnet is the result of the magnetic field produced by the electromagnet interacting with the magnetic field of the permanent magnet.

How do you calculate the force on a permanent magnet from an electromagnet?

The force on a permanent magnet from an electromagnet can be calculated using the formula F = (μ0 * m1 * m2 * A) / (2 * π * d^2), where μ0 is the permeability of free space, m1 and m2 are the magnetic moments of the two magnets, A is the area of overlap between the two magnets, and d is the distance between the two magnets.

What factors affect the force on a permanent magnet from an electromagnet?

The force on a permanent magnet from an electromagnet is affected by the strength of the magnetic fields, the distance between the two magnets, and the orientation of the magnets relative to each other.

Does the force on a permanent magnet from an electromagnet depend on the polarity of the magnets?

Yes, the force on a permanent magnet from an electromagnet is dependent on the polarity of the magnets. Like poles (north and north or south and south) will repel each other, while opposite poles (north and south) will attract each other.

Can the force on a permanent magnet from an electromagnet be controlled?

Yes, the force on a permanent magnet from an electromagnet can be controlled by adjusting the strength of the electromagnet, the distance between the two magnets, and the orientation of the magnets. It can also be controlled by using a variable power supply to adjust the current flowing through the electromagnet.