How Does Fusing Beams with Different Properties Affect Stress Distribution?

In summary: This means that the axial stress in a beam with a lateral load is not simply the sum of the axial stress in the beam sections which have a tensile stress and the axial stress in the beam sections which have a compressive stress.
Gwozdzilla

Homework Statement

BoCsxtc.png

Two beams of different cross sectional areas are fused together to create a single beam, as shown in the figure above. The following relationships apply: A1 = 2A2, L2 = 2L1, E1 = 3E2. A tensile force F is applied at the ends of the bar, as shown. What is the ratio of the stress in beam 1, σ1, to the stress in beam 2, σ2?

Homework Equations

stress = σ = F/A0
strain = ε = ΔL/L0
σ = Eε

The Attempt at a Solution

σ1 = F/A1 = F/(2A2)
σ2 = F/A2

σ12 = 1/2

I think that my answer is probably wrong because I don't think that the force being applied to the beam should just be equal to F. Is the force at the location of fusion different from F that's being applied at both ends? How would I go about calculating this force? Would this make the F in the formula for stress an average of F and the stress at the fusion point?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer is correct. In a real situation, the stresses in the vicinity of the fusion cross section would vary a lot with spatial position within the beam (you were very perceptive in recognizing this). But, at distances of only one or two cross section diagonal lengths away on either side of the fusion cross section, the stresses would become uniform and purely axial. So this is the state of stress that would prevail throughout most of the two pieces.

Chet

I think they are talking about average stresses here. There will be some stress concentrations near the fusion point that exceed the average but these are localized points and not the average across the cross section.

Likes Chestermiller
So when a tensile force is applied to a beam, this force is generally uniform throughout its cross section and does not vary with the length or mass of the beam?

Gwozdzilla said:
So when a tensile force is applied to a beam, this force is generally uniform throughout its cross section and does not vary with the length or mass of the beam?
No. You can take a cut thru the cross section of the beam at any point along its length and make a free body diagram out of the pieces. The forces which are required to keep the beam in equilibrium can then be used to calculate the axial stress.

Likes Chestermiller
How would axial stress be calculated? How would this differ from the stress used in the problem?

It would be as you already calculated it. It would be the force F divided by the local cross sectional area.

So if the force is different at each cross sectional area due to the length and mass of the beam, then why isn't the force for the beam with area A1 different from the force for the beam with area A2? Shouldn't this mean that the force providing the tensile stress isn't equal to F?

Why should the length and mass affect the tensile force?

I suppose the tensile force is only being applied in the x direction, whereas forces caused by the mass of the beam would be in the y direction, causing them to not affect each other. But I know I've seen other beam problems before where the beam is fixed to a wall and an object is placed on it, and the distance of the object from the wall affects the force, but it's not affecting a tensile force in that situation, it's affecting the force in the y direction.

Gwozdzilla said:
I suppose the tensile force is only being applied in the x direction, whereas forces caused by the mass of the beam would be in the y direction, causing them to not affect each other. But I know I've seen other beam problems before where the beam is fixed to a wall and an object is placed on it, and the distance of the object from the wall affects the force, but it's not affecting a tensile force in that situation, it's affecting the force in the y direction.
A cantilever beam (that is, a beam with one end fixed and one end free) behaves a little differently when it is loaded laterally as opposed to a beam which is loaded only in the axial direction.

A cantilever beam with a lateral load has a bending moment created, and due to curvature of the beam with a bending moment, a completely different stress pattern is created as opposed to a beam which has only an axial load applied.

For the beam undergoing bending, σ ≠ F / A. For the beam undergoing bending, one portion of the cross section will have a tensile stress and the rest of the same section will have a compressive stress.

image016.jpg
In the case of bending, the net axial force on the beam section is zero, in order for the beam to remain in equilibrium.

1. What is the basic concept of force and stress along a beam?

The basic concept of force and stress along a beam is the relationship between the external forces being applied to a beam and the resulting internal stresses that occur within the beam. This relationship is important in understanding the structural behavior of beams and their ability to support loads.

2. How do external forces affect the stress along a beam?

External forces, such as loads or supports, cause bending, shearing, and axial forces within a beam. These forces result in internal stresses that vary along the length of the beam, with the highest stresses typically occurring at the location where the load is applied.

3. What is the difference between tension and compression stress in a beam?

Tension stress occurs when a beam is being stretched or pulled apart, while compression stress occurs when a beam is being compressed or pushed together. These stresses are important to consider in the design of beams as they can affect the strength and stability of the structure.

4. How is the stress along a beam calculated?

The stress along a beam can be calculated using the equation σ = Mc/I, where σ is the stress, M is the bending moment, c is the distance from the neutral axis to the point of interest, and I is the moment of inertia of the beam cross-section. This equation is based on the assumption that the beam is in an elastic range and follows Hooke's law.

5. What are some common factors that can affect the stress along a beam?

Some common factors that can affect the stress along a beam include the type and magnitude of the external load, the shape and size of the beam, the material properties of the beam, and the support conditions. Other factors such as temperature changes and vibration can also impact the stress along a beam.