Force to stop a rotating object

In summary, the problem involves a spinning disk with a mass of 3.2kg and a diameter of 37cm. The goal is to determine the friction force needed to bring the disk to a halt in 2.4 seconds. Several attempts at solving the problem using different equations were made, but the correct approach is to use the equation for net torque, which is equal to the moment of inertia multiplied by the angular acceleration. The moment of inertia is calculated as 0.5 times the mass of the disk times the square of its radius. The angular acceleration can be found by converting the given rotational speed of 350 rpm to rad/s and dividing by the time of 2.4 seconds. The resulting net torque can then
Phys185Help

Homework Statement

The 3.2kg , 37-cm-diameter disk in the figure is spinning at 350 rpm .

How much friction force must the brake apply to the rim to bring the disk to a halt in 2.4s?

Homework Equations

F = m * a
I = (1/2) * mass * radius2 (I probably need to use this but I can't figure out how it works in)
rotational speed = rotations/sec * circumference

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried going about it multiple ways, but I think I'm just leading myself in circles

Going to try to solve using F = m * a

Solving for a:
350 rpm / 60 seconds = 5.83 rotations/second
5.83 rotations / second * (2π * .37m / 2) m/rotation = 6.77 m/s

If I want to go from that to 0 m/s in 2.4s then it's (6.77m/s) / 2.4s = 2.82 m/s2

So since F = m * a = 3.2kg * 2.82 m/s2 = 9.03 N

Except that answer is wrong.

I would love to use the different rotational formulas but I can't figure out what I'm supposed to use and when to switch from radians to meters and such.

Physics news on Phys.org
Also tried this:

Net torque = I * α
I = (.5 * 3.2kg * .185m2) = .0548 kg*m2
α = ((350rpm / 60 s) - 0) * 2π / 2.4s = 15.27 rad/s

Net torque = .0548 * 15.27 = .8363 Nm

Net torque = F * radius
.8363 = F * .185

F = 4.52 N

This one seems more correct but I've done it wrong so many times I don't know if I'm losing my mind.

Edit: Also this one is exactly 1/2 my other answer so I assume in the other one or in this one I divided/multiplied by 2 somewhere when I shouldn't have.

#2 is on the right track.

Force = mass * acceleration ... is the linear case
Torque = Moment of inertia * angular acceleration ... is the same thing but for rotation.

Phys185Help said:
Net torque = I * α
I = (.5 * 3.2kg * .185m2) = .0548 kg*m2

You didn't post a diagram but I assume it's a disc so I = 0.5*m*r2

Where do you get 0.185m2 ?

α = ((350rpm / 60 s) - 0) * 2π / 2.4s = 15.27 rad/s

That should be rad/s2 because α is the angular acceleration.

Related to Force to stop a rotating object

1. What is the definition of "force" in relation to stopping a rotating object?

Force is a push or pull on an object that can cause it to accelerate, decelerate, or change direction. In the context of stopping a rotating object, force refers to the external force applied to the object to counteract its rotational motion.

2. How does the force applied affect the rotation of the object?

The force applied to a rotating object will cause it to slow down or stop, depending on the magnitude and direction of the force. If the force is applied in the opposite direction of the rotation, it will slow down the object. If the force is greater than the rotational force of the object, it will cause it to stop and potentially change direction.

3. What factors determine the amount of force needed to stop a rotating object?

The amount of force needed to stop a rotating object depends on the mass, shape, and rotational velocity of the object. Objects with larger mass or higher rotational velocity will require more force to stop compared to smaller or slower objects.

4. Can the force needed to stop a rotating object be calculated?

Yes, the force needed to stop a rotating object can be calculated using the formula F = m*r*w^2, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, r is the distance from the rotation axis, and w is the angular velocity of the object. This formula is based on the principle of rotational inertia, which states that the greater the mass and distance from the axis, the greater the force needed to stop the rotation.

5. Are there any other methods besides applying force to stop a rotating object?

Yes, besides applying external force, there are other methods to stop a rotating object. These include using friction, such as brake pads, to slow down the rotation, or using internal mechanisms, such as gears or brakes, to control the rotation. These methods are commonly used in machines and vehicles to control the speed and direction of rotation.