Forced Oscillator where Damping is Negligible

In summary, the mass will vibrate with an amplitude of 0.430 m when driven by a force oscillating with an amplitude of 1.88 N.
Becca93

Homework Statement

Damping is negligible for a 0.139 kg mass hanging from a light 7.00 N/m spring. The system is driven by a force oscillating with an amplitude of 1.88 N. At what frequency will the force make the mass vibrate with an amplitude of 0.430 m? There are two possible solutions, enter one of them.

Homework Equations

A = (Fo/m) / (√((ω^2 - ωo^2)^2 + (bω/m)^2)
Damping is negligible, therefore b = 0, therefore
A = (Fo/m) / (√((ω^2 - ωo^2)^2)

ωo = √(k/m)

The Attempt at a Solution

So,
m = 0.139 kg
k = 7.00 N/m
Fo = 1.88 N
A = 0.430 m

A = (Fo/m) / (√((ω^2 - ωo^2)^2)
Rearranged to find ω, is

(ω^2 - √(k/m)^2)^2 = (Fo/m) / A
ω^2 = √((Fo/m)/A) + (k/m)
ω = √( √((Fo/m)/A) + (k/m) )

So,
ω = √( √((1.88/0.139)/0.430) + (7/0.139) )
ω = √( 1.77 + 50.3597)
ω = 7.22 rad/s

ω = 2(pi)f
7.22 /2(pi) = f
f = 1.49 Hz

This is not the correct answer and I have no idea where I'm going wrong.

Am I using the wrong equations? Are my calculations incorrect? Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You simplified ##\sqrt{(\omega^2-\omega_0^2)^2}## incorrectly.

vela said:
You simplified ##\sqrt{(\omega^2-\omega_0^2)^2}## incorrectly.

How? I did the following:

√((ω^2 - ωo^2)^2)

Shouldn't the square root and the square cancel, leaving

(ω^2 - ωo^2)

ω^2 - (√k/m)^2

ω^2 - (k/m)

Resulting in:

ω^2 = √((Fo/m)/A) + (k/m)

Where did I go wrong?

After setting b=0 and moving some stuff around, you should have
$$A = \frac{F_0/m}{\sqrt{(\omega^2-\omega_0^2)^2}} = \frac{F_0/m}{\omega^2-\omega_0^2}$$My take was that you ended up with
$$A = \frac{F_0/m}{\sqrt{(\omega^2-\omega_0^2)^2}} = \frac{F_0/m}{(\omega^2-\omega_0^2)^2}$$ (compare to "(ω^2 - √(k/m)^2)^2 = (Fo/m) / A" which is what you wrote in your first post) which leads to the incorrect answer.

If you check the units on your result, you'll see they don't work out. That means you messed up the algebra somewhere.

vela said:
After setting b=0 and moving some stuff around, you should have
$$A = \frac{F_0/m}{\sqrt{(\omega^2-\omega_0^2)^2}} = \frac{F_0/m}{\omega^2-\omega_0^2}$$My take was that you ended up with
$$A = \frac{F_0/m}{\sqrt{(\omega^2-\omega_0^2)^2}} = \frac{F_0/m}{(\omega^2-\omega_0^2)^2}$$ (compare to "(ω^2 - √(k/m)^2)^2 = (Fo/m) / A" which is what you wrote in your first post) which leads to the incorrect answer.

If you check the units on your result, you'll see they don't work out. That means you messed up the algebra somewhere.

Ahh, yes, I see what I did. I did mess up the algebra without noticing. I had it straight in my head but not on paper.

Thank you very much for pointing that out for me. I've got the correct answer now.

Related to Forced Oscillator where Damping is Negligible

1. What is a forced oscillator?

A forced oscillator is a system that oscillates under the influence of an external force or driving force. It can be modeled using a mass-spring system, where the mass represents the object undergoing oscillation and the spring represents the restoring force.

2. What is damping in a forced oscillator?

Damping is the mechanism that causes the amplitude of an oscillation to decrease over time. It can be caused by various factors such as friction, air resistance, or resistance in an electrical circuit. In a forced oscillator, damping is negligible when the damping force is significantly smaller than the restoring force.

3. Why is damping negligible in a forced oscillator?

In a forced oscillator, damping is considered negligible because the damping force is much smaller than the restoring force. This means that the external force is the dominant force in the system, causing the oscillation to continue with minimal decrease in amplitude.

4. How is a forced oscillator with negligible damping different from a damped oscillator?

A forced oscillator with negligible damping will continue to oscillate with a constant amplitude, while a damped oscillator will gradually decrease in amplitude over time. Additionally, the frequency of a forced oscillator is determined by the external force, while the frequency of a damped oscillator is determined by the natural frequency of the system.

5. What are some real-life examples of forced oscillators with negligible damping?

Some examples of forced oscillators with negligible damping include a child swinging on a swing set, a pendulum clock, and a guitar string being plucked. In all of these examples, the external force is the dominant force and the amplitude of the oscillation remains constant.