Forces of Constraint: Solving Euler-Lagrange Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses a Lagrangian representing the motion of an object along a curved wire, with a rotating wire around the z axis. The goal is to find the component of constraint force in the ##e_{\phi}## direction. One person uses a formula to calculate this force, but it does not have the correct units. The other person explains that the formula used calculates a "generalized force" instead of the actual force and suggests using the gradient of the Lagrange parameter to find the force.
Silviu
Hello! I have this Lagrangian: $$L=\frac{1}{2}m\dot{r}^2(1+f'(r)^2)+\frac{1}{2}m\dot{\phi}^2r^2-mgf(r)+\lambda(\phi-\omega t)$$ This represents the motion of a point-like object of mass m along a curved wire with shape $$z=f(r)$$ The wire rotates with constant angular velocity around the z axis $$\omega=\dot{\phi}$$ and I need to find the component of constraint force on the bead in the ##e_{\phi}## direction. Hence why I have that last term in the Lagrangian. Solving the Euler-Lagrange equation for ##\phi##, gives me (using the fact that ##\ddot{\phi}=0##) $$\lambda = 2mr\dot{r}\omega$$ Up to here my answer is like the one in the book. Now, from what I understand, to get the constraint force, you apply this formula: $$F=\lambda \frac{\partial f}{\partial q}$$ where in my case $$f=\phi-\omega t$$ and $$q=\phi$$ If I do this I get $$F_{\phi}=2mr\dot{r}\omega$$ which is wrong as it doesn't have units of force. In their solution they do $$F_{\phi}=\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial L}{\partial \phi}=2m\dot{r}\omega$$ which seems correct. So what is wrong with what am I doing? Is the formula I am using wrong, or am I applying it the wrong way? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Silviu said:
$$z=f(r)$$
Silviu said:
$$f=\phi-\omega t$$
I think your problem is that f represents a distance in the first of these equations and an angle in the second.

tnich said:
I think your problem is that f represents a distance in the first of these equations and an angle in the second.
Shouldn't ##\lambda## take care of this automatically? Like shouldn't I get the right units, just by applying the formula? The Lagrangian I obtained is the same as the one they obtained so I assume it is correct. Edit: the ##f## that appears in ##z=f(r)## is not the same as the ##f=\phi - \omega t##, in case I wasn't clear there. In the second case I just gave it a general name, to reflect the way I applied the formula.

Silviu said:
Shouldn't ##\lambda## take care of this automatically? Like shouldn't I get the right units, just by applying the formula? The Lagrangian I obtained is the same as the one they obtained so I assume it is correct. Edit: the ##f## that appears in ##z=f(r)## is not the same as the ##f=\phi - \omega t##, in case I wasn't clear there. In the second case I just gave it a general name, to reflect the way I applied the formula.
##\lambda## has units consistent with your original equation, so the problem is probably somewhere else.

tnich said:
##\lambda## has units consistent with your original equation, so the problem is probably somewhere else.
Yeah, but I am not sure what I am doing wrong...

What you calculate with your formula is not the force but the "generalized force". Since your generalized coordinate is an angle this generalized force is a torque.

Of course, you book is correct too. To get the force, you consider the piece with the Lagrange parameter as a potential for the constraint forces (in this case time dependent, but that doesn't matter). Then the force is given as the gradient of this "potential". Now you have to define the gradient in terms of your generalized coordinates. This is fortunately done in any textbook, because you have cylinder coordinates, and the gradient is
$$\vec{\nabla} \Phi(r,\varphi,z)=\vec{e}_r \partial_r \Phi + \frac{\vec{e}_{\varphi}}{r} \partial_{\varphi} \Phi+\vec{e}_z \partial_z \Phi.$$
Note that you don't need to take into account the derivatives of ##\lambda##, because the constraint equation makes this contribution obviously vanish.

Likes CenMo and Orodruin

1. What is the Euler-Lagrange equation?

The Euler-Lagrange equation is a mathematical equation that represents a fundamental principle in physics, specifically in classical mechanics. It is used to find the path that a physical system will take between two specified points, given the initial and final conditions of the system.

2. How is the Euler-Lagrange equation derived?

The Euler-Lagrange equation is derived from a mathematical principle known as the principle of least action. This principle states that the path taken by a physical system between two points will minimize the total action of the system, which is the integral of the system's Lagrangian over time.

3. What is the significance of the Euler-Lagrange equation?

The Euler-Lagrange equation is significant because it provides a powerful tool for solving problems in classical mechanics. It allows scientists and engineers to determine the optimal path that a system will take between two points, which can be used to predict the behavior of physical systems.

4. What are some real-world applications of the Euler-Lagrange equation?

The Euler-Lagrange equation has many real-world applications, particularly in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. It is commonly used in mechanics to analyze the motion of particles and rigid bodies, in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of quantum systems, and in economics to model optimal decision-making processes.

5. Are there any limitations to the Euler-Lagrange equation?

While the Euler-Lagrange equation is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It is only applicable to systems that can be described using a Lagrangian, and it cannot be directly applied to systems with constraints. Additionally, it may not provide a unique solution in some cases, requiring further analysis and techniques to solve.