Four-spin interactions the Ising model

In summary, the mean field Hamiltonian for a fully connected Ising model with four-spin interaction in a transverse field is given by:$$H=-\sum_{i<j=1}^N J_{ij} \langle \sigma_i \rangle \sigma_j - \sum_{i=1}^N h_i \sigma_i$$This is obtained by considering that the mean value of the product of two spins is equal to the product of the mean values in the thermodynamic limit. However, it is not clear whether the same holds for the four spin terms and further assistance is needed to prove it.
AdeBlackRune

Homework Statement

Let us consider a fully connected Ising model with four-spin interaction in a transverse field
qq.png

Write the mean field Hamiltonian.

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the mean value of the product of two spins is equal, in the thermodynamic limit to the product of the mean values. Is the same for the four spin terms? I'm not able to show it.
qq1.png

Attachments

• qq.png
    qq.png
    2.4 KB · Views: 824
  • qq1.png
    qq1.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 446
Physics news on Phys.org
The mean field Hamiltonian would be: $$H=-\sum_{i<j=1}^N J_{ij} \langle \sigma_i \rangle \sigma_j - \sum_{i=1}^N h_i \sigma_i$$with $J_{ij}$ the coupling constant between two spins and $h_i$ the external field.Can someone help me? Thank you in advance!

1. What is the Ising model?

The Ising model is a mathematical model used to study the behavior of interacting spins in a lattice. It was originally developed to understand the behavior of ferromagnetic materials, but has since been applied to a wide range of systems in physics, chemistry, and biology.

2. What are four-spin interactions?

Four-spin interactions refer to the interactions between four neighboring spins in the Ising model. These interactions can either be ferromagnetic, where the spins align with each other, or antiferromagnetic, where the spins are anti-aligned.

3. How do four-spin interactions affect the behavior of the Ising model?

The inclusion of four-spin interactions in the Ising model allows for more complex behavior, such as phase transitions, to occur. This is because four-spin interactions can create frustration, where no single spin configuration can satisfy all of the interactions at once.

4. How is the Ising model used in real-world applications?

The Ising model has been used to study a variety of systems, including magnetism, protein folding, and neural networks. It is also used in computer simulations to model phase transitions and critical phenomena.

5. Can the Ising model be extended to include other interactions?

Yes, the Ising model can be extended to include more complex interactions, such as long-range interactions or interactions between more than four spins. These extensions are often used to study specific systems or phenomena in more detail.