Fourier Series - Asymmetric Square Wave

In summary, Alan Oppenheim explains how to derive the Fourier series for periodic signals. He uses an example of an asymmetric square wave and shows how to calculate the Fourier coefficients.
DmytriE
Good morning everyone,

I am taking a signals and systems course where we are now studying the Fourier series. I understand that this is for signals that are periodic. But I get hung up when determining the Fourier coefficients. In the video by Alan Oppenheim, he derives the equation for the Fourier series. Below is the analysis equation.

[itex]a_{k} = \frac{1}{T_{0}} ∫ x(t)*e^{jk\omega_{0}t}[/itex]

He goes through an example using an asymmetric square wave with an amplitude of 1. I understand the bounds that he chooses [itex](-T_0/2, 0)[/itex] and [itex](0, T_0/2)[/itex].

This leads to a Fourier coefficient equation of the following:
[itex]a_{k} = \frac{1}{T_{0}} [∫ (-1)*e^{jk\omega_{0}t} + ∫ (1)*e^{jk\omega_{0}t}][/itex]

To compute the general equation for [itex] a_k [/itex] should I treat the ±1 as a function and use u-substitution / integration by parts? If so, can someone at least show the first step or 2? I haven't done I.B.P. or U-substitution in some time. If I can treat the x(t) as a constant then how can I integrate to get the answer below?

General equation: [itex] a_k = \frac{1}{jkπ} (1 - (-1^{k}))[/itex]

This example is from M.I.T. Open Courseware Alan V. Oppenheim Signals and Systems course Lecture 7 approximately 20 minutes into the video.

Engineering news on Phys.org
DmytriE said:
This leads to a Fourier coefficient equation of the following:
[itex]a_{k} = \frac{1}{T_{0}} [∫ (-1)*e^{jk\omega_{0}t} + ∫ (1)*e^{jk\omega_{0}t}][/itex]
To compute the general equation for [itex] a_k [/itex] should I treat the ±1 as a function and use u-substitution / integration by parts?[/itex]
You don't need to do all that. "1" and "-1" are just constants. If you are studying this, you should know ##\int e^{at}dt##, and that formula works when ##a## is a complex number as well as when ##a## is real.

You should also know ##e^{j\omega t} = \cos \omega t + j \sin \omega t##.

You also have an equation connecting ##T_0## and ##\omega_0##, which is why they both disappeared in the final equation for ##a_k## (and that's also where the ##\pi## came from).

If you are confused by the ##(-1)^k## part, just work out the first few values of ##a_1##, ##a_2##, etc and see what happens.

AlephZero said:
If you are confused by the ##(-1)^k## part, just work out the first few values of ##a_1##, ##a_2##, etc and see what happens.

This is precisely what I am confused about. Is there a rule that applies to the [itex] (-1)^k [/itex] or do I have to input a couple numbers for [itex] a_k [/itex]?

What is a Fourier Series?

A Fourier Series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function using a combination of sine and cosine waves. It is used to break down a complex signal into simpler components for analysis.

How is a Fourier Series calculated?

A Fourier Series is calculated using a specific formula that involves integrating the function over one period and then finding the coefficients for each sine and cosine term. These coefficients are then used to reconstruct the original function.

What is an Asymmetric Square Wave?

An Asymmetric Square Wave is a type of periodic function that alternates between two values, typically 1 and -1, with unequal durations for each value. This creates an uneven or "asymmetric" waveform.

Why is it important to use an Asymmetric Square Wave in Fourier Series?

Asymmetric Square Waves are important in Fourier Series because they allow for the representation of non-symmetric signals, which are common in real-world applications. This helps to improve the accuracy of the Fourier Series and its ability to analyze complex signals.

What are some applications of Fourier Series?

Fourier Series have many applications in various fields such as signal processing, image and sound compression, and data analysis. They are also used in physics, engineering, and mathematics for solving differential equations and studying periodic phenomena.