Fourier Transform integral

In summary, the conversation discusses a mistake made while trying to integrate an exponential term to infinity. It is pointed out that the current limits are incorrect and the integral will not converge. The correct limits should be zero to infinity as negative time is not possible.
Martin89
New user has been reminded to use the Homework Help Template when starting schoolwork threads at the PF
Hi All! I've been looking at this Fourier Transform integral and I've realized that I'm not sure how to integrate the exponential term to infinity. I would expect the result to be infinity but that wouldn't give me a very useful function. So I've taken it to be zero but I have no idea if you can do this...
Thanks!
20181013_192441.jpg

Attachments

• 20181013_192441.jpg
    20181013_192441.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 382
Physics news on Phys.org
With your current limits (with ##-\infty##) what you have done is wrong. The exponential will blow up at negative times. The integral will not converege.

Cryo said:
With your current limits (with ##-\infty##) what you have done is wrong. The exponential will blow up at negative times. The integral will not converege.

Thanks, I realize my mistake now. The limits should be zero to infinity as negative time is not possible

What is the Fourier Transform integral?

The Fourier Transform integral is a mathematical tool that allows us to represent a function as a combination of sinusoidal waves. It is used to convert functions from the time domain to the frequency domain.

What is the formula for the Fourier Transform integral?

The formula for the Fourier Transform integral is given by:

F(k) = ∫f(x)e-2πikx dx

where F(k) represents the frequency domain representation of the function, f(x) is the function in the time domain, and k is the frequency variable.

What is the difference between Fourier Transform integral and Fourier series?

The Fourier Transform integral is used for continuous functions, while the Fourier series is used for periodic functions. The Fourier Transform integral gives a continuous spectrum of frequencies, while the Fourier series gives a discrete spectrum.

How is the Fourier Transform integral used in signal processing?

The Fourier Transform integral is used to analyze signals in the frequency domain. It allows us to identify the different frequencies present in a signal and their corresponding amplitudes. This is useful in applications such as filtering, compression, and noise reduction.

What are some common applications of the Fourier Transform integral?

The Fourier Transform integral has a wide range of applications in various fields such as signal processing, image processing, audio processing, and quantum mechanics. It is also used in solving differential equations, analyzing vibrations, and in pattern recognition.