Fourier transform of Dirac delta

In summary: Thus, strictly speaking, the Fourier transform is not an isometry, but rather a unitary operator.In summary, the conversation discusses different conventions for the Fourier transform and its inverse, with one convention using a coefficient of 1/√2π and the other convention not using any coefficient. The use of these conventions depends on the context and can result in different solutions to problems. However, both conventions are valid and serve different purposes for different fields of study.
spacetimedude
In lectures, I have learned that [tex]F(k)= \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-ikx}f(x)dx[/tex] where F(k) is the Fourier transform of f(x) and the inverse Fourier transform is [tex]f(x)= \frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{ikx}f(k)dk[/tex] .
But on the same chapter in the lecture notes, there is an example solving for the Fourier transform of [itex]f(x)=(\delta(x+d))+(\delta(x-d))[/itex].
I set the transform as [tex]F(k)= \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-ikx}(\delta(x+d))+(\delta(x-d))dx[/tex]Splitting the integral into two and using the sifting property, I got [tex]F(k)=e^{ikd}+e^{-ikd}[/tex] But the solution has [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}[/itex] in front, hence from there they used the trig identity to get it in terms of cosine.
I searched on google and there seems to be different conventions on the transform. But I am only familiar with the one I mentioned. How can I get to the solution using the integral form I used?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, it could be that he used a different convention just for this problem. Is my solution still a valid answer?

spacetimedude said:
Hmm, it could be that he used a different convention just for this problem. Is my solution still a valid answer?
Actually from what I see the answer is [tex] 2\cos(kd) [/tex], but depending on the convention used you can have [tex] \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}[/tex] in front of both the forward and backward transforms.

Likes spacetimedude
Yes, the 1/√2π convention that Septim mentions is used by the more mathematically oriented scientists, since in that case both the Fourier transform and its inverse are isometries on the space L2 of square-integrable functions, which is often a very convenient thing to have.*

The other most common convention, with no coefficient (okay, it's actually 1) in the forward transform tends to be preferred by engineers, who then don't have to worry about any coefficient every time they do a (forward) transform, and never have to worry about a square root even with the inverse transform.

* Technically, any two square-integrable functions are considered to be the same in L2 if they differ only on a set of measure 0. Thus L2 is not precisely a set of functions, but rather a set of equivalence classes.

Likes spacetimedude

What is the Fourier transform of Dirac delta?

The Fourier transform of Dirac delta is a mathematical operation that transforms a function in the time/space domain into its equivalent representation in the frequency/wavenumber domain. In the frequency/wavenumber domain, the Dirac delta function is represented by a constant value, indicating that it has an infinite number of frequencies/wavenumbers present.

Why is the Fourier transform of Dirac delta important?

The Fourier transform of Dirac delta is important because it allows us to analyze signals and systems in the frequency/wavenumber domain, which can provide valuable insights into the behavior of these signals and systems. It is widely used in many fields of science and engineering, such as signal processing, image processing, and quantum mechanics.

What is the relationship between Dirac delta and the Fourier transform?

The relationship between Dirac delta and the Fourier transform is that the Fourier transform of Dirac delta is a constant value, and the inverse Fourier transform of a constant value is a Dirac delta function. This means that the Fourier transform and inverse Fourier transform are inverse operations of each other.

How is the Fourier transform of Dirac delta calculated?

The Fourier transform of Dirac delta is calculated using the following formula: F(δ(x)) = ∫ δ(x)e^(-2πikx)dx = 1, where F(δ(x)) is the Fourier transform of Dirac delta, δ(x) is the Dirac delta function, k is the wavenumber, and e is the base of the natural logarithm. This formula is also known as the sifting property of the Fourier transform.

What are the applications of the Fourier transform of Dirac delta?

The Fourier transform of Dirac delta has many applications in various fields of science and engineering. Some examples include signal and image processing, spectral analysis, quantum mechanics, and solving differential equations. It is also used in the study of vibrations, wave propagation, and resonance phenomena.