Fourier transform of the Helmholtz equation

In summary, the author is trying to solve the Helmholtz equation using the FT, but is having trouble with some of the more complicated terms. They are looking for help with the equation and for a formula for the total derivative. They mention that the FT of derivatives will take them to the answer, but they are still working on it.
Vajhe
Hi guys, I have been trying to solve the Helmholtz equation with no luck at all; I'm following the procedure found in "Engineering Optics with MATLAB" by Poon and Kim, it goes something like this:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Let's start with Helmholtz eq. for the complex amplitude ## \psi_p ##:

[tex] \nabla^2 \psi_p + k_0 ^2 \psi_p = 0 , k_0=\frac{w_0}{v} [/tex]

According to the authors, it should be possible to find a solution to that equation applying the two dimensional Fourier Transform to it; just one thing: apparently in engineering, the Fourier Transform is defined like this
[tex] \int_{- \infty}^{\infty} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(x,y) e^{j k_x x + j k_y y} \, dx \, dy [/tex]

I don't really get why the kernel has positive signs, instead of negatives; the authors mention something to do with a convention of traveling waves, but I don't have the referenced book they mention (Principles of Applied Optics, Banerjee and Poon). If someone could explain me that I will be in a great debt :bow:.

Now, my problem is this: according to the authors, the result I should have after some manipulation should be
[tex] \frac{d^2 \Psi_p}{dz^2}+ k_0 ^2 (1 - \frac{k_x^2}{k_0^2} - \frac{k_y^2}{k_0^2}){\Psi_p} = 0 [/tex]

Where ##\Psi_p## is the Fourier Transform of ##\psi_p.##

The Attempt at a Solution

When I apply the FT to the Helmholtz eq. I use the Laplace operator in both ##\Psi_p## and ##e^{j k_x x + j k_y y}##, that will give me several terms (actually a lot). I do some math and I continue working on it but I don't get the desired expression. I find particularly complicated the total derivative: the Laplace operator gives me partial derivatives, but the result should consist of a total one. Also, several terms are missing. I think a possible solution to the latter problem would be something akin to the relation
[tex] d = \frac{\partial}{\partial x}dx + \frac{\partial}{\partial y}dy + \frac{\partial}{\partial z}dz [/tex]

But, I don't find an answer about what is ##\frac{d^2}{dx^2}## in partial derivatives (as an operator), the answer I found is not that quite satisfactory, and even in that case, it presents me with some problems like the total derivates of x and y in z (which will be zero in any case).

So I'm pretty stuck at this point, and I would like to see some fresh ideas.

Thanks in advance!

P.D. Sorry if there are some confounding parts, I'm not sure what to do at this point :H.

Physics news on Phys.org
Vajhe said:
Now, my problem is this: according to the authors, the result I should have after some manipulation should be
[tex] \frac{d^2 \Psi_p}{dz^2}+ k_0 ^2 (1 - \frac{k_x^2}{k_0^2} - \frac{k_y^2}{k_0^2}){\Psi_p} = 0 [/tex]
Where ##\Psi_p## is the Fourier Transform of ##\psi_p.##
What is ##z## here? Are you sure that's supposed to be there? I would have expected only the 2nd term in the above.

Also, have you checked the standard formulas for the FT of derivatives? (See, e.g., the Wikipedia page on Fourier transforms, under the section "Differentiation".)

Well, z is the third component of the position. The author explicitly puts it there, but I don't find why.

And actually, I think that the formulas for the FT of derivatives will take me to the answer, but I'm still working on it. I really appreciate the hint (I was very, very stuck).

Let's see if I can fully work the answer in these days and I will put it here for anyone interested in something like this.

Thanks!

Vajhe said:
Well, z is the third component of the position. The author explicitly puts it there, but I don't find why.
Oh, I see now. It's a 3D problem, but they're only taking a 2D FT. So the ##\Psi_p## is really ##\Psi_p(k_x, k_y, z)##.

So presumably, you're supposed to solve for the ##z##-dependence first, and then do an inverse 2D FT back to xy space if the final solution needs to be in 3D position space.

strangerep said:
It's a 3D problem, but they're only taking a 2D FT
Yes, the author is only taking 2D Fourier transform because for a given wavelength (or frequency), the three components of the wavevector are not all independent - knowing the wavelength, ##k_x##, and ##k_y## Is sufficient to compute ##k_z##.

1. What is the Helmholtz equation?

The Helmholtz equation is a partial differential equation that describes the propagation of waves in a medium. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to model a wide range of wave phenomena, including sound, light, and electromagnetic waves.

2. What is the Fourier transform of the Helmholtz equation?

The Fourier transform of the Helmholtz equation is a mathematical operation that converts the equation from its original form in the time or spatial domain to the frequency domain. This allows for a more concise and efficient representation of the equation, making it easier to analyze and solve for various applications.

3. How is the Fourier transform used in solving the Helmholtz equation?

The Fourier transform is used to transform the Helmholtz equation into a simpler form that can be solved using mathematical techniques such as separation of variables or Green's functions. This allows for the determination of solutions for different boundary conditions and sources.

4. What are the applications of the Fourier transform of the Helmholtz equation?

The Fourier transform of the Helmholtz equation has a wide range of applications in physics and engineering. It is used in the fields of acoustics, optics, electromagnetics, and signal processing to analyze and model wave propagation, diffraction, scattering, and resonance phenomena.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using the Fourier transform of the Helmholtz equation?

While the Fourier transform is a powerful tool for solving the Helmholtz equation, it does have some limitations. In some cases, it may not be possible to find a closed-form solution using the transform, and numerical methods may be required. Additionally, the Fourier transform assumes that the medium is linear and isotropic, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios.