Green's functions (Fourier Series)

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of obtaining equation (3) by performing a Fourier transform in the x direction. The resulting one-dimensional equation is then solved using the Wronskian method, taking into account properties of Green's function and applying boundary conditions. The use of eigenfunction expansion is also mentioned as an alternative method.
lulia
Homework Statement
Prove that the Green's function satisfying (1) subject to the boundary conditions (2) can be expressed in the form of (3).
Relevant Equations
\begin{equation}
\partial^2_x G + \partial^2_y G = \delta(x-x0) \delta(y-y0)
\end{equation}

\begin{equation}
G(0,y) = G(x,0) = G(x,b), G(x,y)< \infty
\end{equation}

\begin{gather}
y<y_0: G = -\frac{2}{\pi} \int_0^{\infty}
\frac{sin (k x_0) sin (kx) sinh(ky) sinh (k(b-y_0))}{k sinh (kb)} \\

y>y_0: G = -\frac{2}{\pi} \int_0^{\infty}
\frac{sin (k x_0) sin (kx) sinh(ky_0) sinh (k(b-y))}{k sinh (kb)}
\end{gather}
In order to obtain equation (3), I think I have to do the Fourier transform in the x direction:

\begin{equation}
\tilde{G}(k,y,x_0,y_0) = \int_{- \infty}^{\infty} G(x,y,x_0,y_0) e^{-i k x} dx
\end{equation}

So I have:

\begin{equation}
-k ^2 \tilde{G}(k,y,x_0,y_0) + \frac{\partial^2 \tilde{G}(k,y,x_0,y_0}{\partial y^2} = e^{-i k x_0} \delta (y-y_0)
\end{equation}

And then solve this one-dimensional equation for ##\tilde{G}##. I'm not sure doing this is correct, because the variable ##y## is delimited and ##x## is not.

In case this is right, do I have to demonstrate first any property? And finally, would it be correct to solve the 1D equation with the Wronskian method?

Thanks in advanced

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try properties of Green's function. First consider case ##y<y_0##. In this case R.H.S is 0. Ditto for ##y>y_0##. Now Apply boundary conditions,fact that they are continuous at y=##y_0## and the first partial derivative is discontinuous at y=##y_0## with discontinuity equal to ##e^{ik(x-x_0)}## if you use (6). Alternatively,you can use eigenfunction expansion of Green's Function (See Arfken and Weber,Mathematical methods for physicist; Morse and Feshback ,Methods of Theoretical physics(The later is detailed but notations are bit outdated))

1. What are Green's functions in Fourier Series?

Green's functions in Fourier Series are mathematical tools used in solving linear differential equations with boundary conditions. They represent the response of a system to a delta function input and can be used to find the solution to the original differential equation.

2. How are Green's functions used in solving differential equations?

Green's functions are used to solve linear differential equations with boundary conditions. They are used to find the complete solution by combining the homogeneous solution with the particular solution obtained using the Green's function.

3. What is the relationship between Green's functions and Fourier Series?

Green's functions are closely related to Fourier Series as they can be expressed as a linear combination of basis functions, which are the Fourier basis functions. The Fourier basis functions are used to represent the Green's function as a series, making it easier to solve differential equations using Fourier techniques.

4. Can Green's functions be used for nonlinear differential equations?

No, Green's functions are only applicable to linear differential equations. For nonlinear differential equations, other mathematical techniques such as numerical methods are used to find the solution.

5. How are Green's functions related to boundary value problems?

Green's functions are used to solve boundary value problems by considering the boundary conditions as delta function inputs. The Green's function is then used to obtain the particular solution, which is then combined with the homogeneous solution to find the complete solution to the boundary value problem.