Fourier Transformation - Convolution quick question

In summary, the Fourier transform of the given function is 5sinc(5k/2)e^{3ik/5}e^{-3ik/5}. The exponentials should not be multiplied, as the shift is not 3/5 but 3. The mistake was in determining the shift, which should have been 3 instead of 3/5.
binbagsss
Okay the question is to find the Fourier transform of:

rect([itex]\frac{x}{5})[/itex][itex]\otimes[/itex]([itex]\delta[/itex](x+3)-[itex]\delta[/itex](x-3))

=F[itex]^{\infty}_{\infty}[/itex] [itex]\int[/itex]rect([itex]\frac{x'}{5}[/itex])([itex]\delta[/itex](x+3-x')-[itex]\delta[/itex](x-3-x')) dx' [1]

- where F represents a Fourier transform.
My Issue
Okay I am fine doing this using the convolution theorem, that the Fourier transform of a convultion is given by the product of the two individual Fourier transforms, but I am having trouble doing it explicitly

So from [1] integrating over each delta function, I deduce that the first term collapses everywhere except x'=x+3, and the second everywhere except x'=x-3, . So I get:

F(rect[itex]\frac{x+3}{5}[/itex]-rect[itex]\frac{x-3}{5})[/itex]
= (5sinc[itex]\frac{5k}{2}[/itex]exp[itex]^{\frac{3ik}{5}}[/itex]exp[itex]^{\frac{-3ik}{5}}[/itex])
using the properties that F(rect([itex]\frac{x}{1}[/itex]))=asinc([itex]\frac{ka}{2}[/itex]) and that F(f(x+a))=F(f(x))exp[itex]^{ika}[/itex]

Which does not agree with the convultion theorem were I get :

5sinc[itex]\frac{5k}{2}[/itex]exp[itex]^{3ik}[/itex]exp[itex]^{-3ik}[/itex]

Thanks a lot in advance for any assistance !

Physics news on Phys.org
binbagsss said:
So from [1] integrating over each delta function, I deduce that the first term collapses everywhere except x'=x+3, and the second everywhere except x'=x-3, so I get:
$$F\left[\mathrm{rect }\left(\frac{x+3}{5}\right) -\mathrm{rect }\left(\frac{x-3}{5}\right)\right] =
5\mathrm{sinc }\left(\frac{5k}{2}\right)e^{3ik/5}e^{-3ik/5}$$ using the properties that ##F\left[\mathrm{rect }\left(\frac{x}{a}\right)\right]=a\mathrm{sinc }\left(\frac{ka}{2}\right)## and that ##F[f(x+a)] = F[f(x)]e^{ika}##. This does not agree with the convolution theorem where I get:
$$5\mathrm{sinc }\left(\frac{5k}{2}\right)e^{3ik}e^{-3ik}$$
Why are the exponentials being multiplied in both cases? In fact, if they were supposed to be multiplied, they'd cancel in both cases, leaving you with identical but incorrect answers.

Your mistake is in determining the shift. You're shifting rect(x/5) by 3, not 3/5, because to go from rect(x/5) to rect((x±3)/5), you replace x by x±3, not x±3/5.

Related to Fourier Transformation - Convolution quick question

1. What is Fourier Transformation?

Fourier Transformation is a mathematical operation that decomposes a signal or function into its constituent frequencies. It is commonly used in signal processing and image analysis to understand the frequency components present in a given signal.

2. What is Convolution?

Convolution is a mathematical operation that combines two functions or signals to create a third function that represents how the shape of one is modified by the other. In signal processing, convolution is useful for understanding the relationship between two signals or for filtering noise from a signal.

3. How are Fourier Transformation and Convolution related?

Fourier Transformation and Convolution are closely related as they are inverse operations of each other. Convolution in the time domain is equivalent to multiplication in the frequency domain, and vice versa. This relationship is known as the Convolution Theorem.

4. What is the importance of Fourier Transformation and Convolution in science?

Fourier Transformation and Convolution have numerous applications in science, particularly in fields such as signal processing, image analysis, and data analysis. They allow us to understand the frequency components of a signal, filter out noise, and extract useful information from data.

5. Are there any limitations to using Fourier Transformation and Convolution?

While Fourier Transformation and Convolution are powerful tools, they do have limitations. For example, the signals or functions being analyzed must be continuous and have a finite energy. Additionally, the results of these operations may be affected by sampling rate and other factors. It is important to carefully consider the assumptions and limitations before using these techniques in scientific research.