Fourier’s Law Of Heat Conduction (Window Pane)

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation for calculating the temperature gradient in a system with an airgap. The tutor provides the hint that the heat flux should be constant for the windows and the air plays a role in the system. The conversation also covers the use of constants for air and the temperature differential in the first glass compared to the second glass. The conversation ends with the discussion of solving the equations for temperature differences in terms of heat flux, thermal conductivity, and thickness for each layer.
jisbon
Homework Statement
The room has double glazing windows. Each window has a dimension of 100cmx30cm and is constructed by sandwiching a 3mm air gap between the two glass panels. Calculate the power required to maintain the temperature of the room at 27 degrees.
Relevant Equations
q = Q/A = -kdT/dx
1583289958554.png

In this case with a presence of the airgap, what should I do with the equation that is provided to be? Must the temperature gradient be caculated spearately (glass+air+glass) ? My tutor provided the hint that the heat flux should be constant for the windows, so in this case should I just omit the air? If so, why?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
No, the air plays a role. If you are familiar with electric circuits, think of it as the 2 window panes as medium-sized resistors and the air gap is a very large resistor. These are all in series. The same current flows through all 3 components. So the heat flow from the inside of the room to the outside world will be the same as the heat flow through the first pane, which is the same as the flow through the air and the outer pane, once in steady-state.

Likes Lnewqban and Chestermiller
So if I count in the air too, how would I exactly calculate kdT/dx for the 3 mediums? Do I calculate one by one?
For example,
Glass 1- (1.3)27/3mm?
Air- (1.3)27/3mm?
Glass 2- (1.3)27/3mm?

What can you say about the temperature differential in the first glass compared to the 2nd glass, and why?

And which constant should you be using for air? Also, look at the dimensions (units) in the constant.

Also, what is the 27 degree difference across? How much does each element have across it?

See if you can sketch a graph of the temperature from left to right as you cross each medium.

You will need to know the temperature outside. If you have 27 degrees outside as well the power is zero. So the answer depends on outside temperature.

nasu said:
You will need to know the temperature outside. If you have 27 degrees outside as well the power is zero. So the answer depends on outside temperature.
The diagram shows 0 C outside.

Likes scottdave
scottdave said:
Also, what is the 27 degree difference across? How much does each element have across it?
Is it okay to say each has 9 degrees ?
scottdave said:
What can you say about the temperature differential in the first glass compared to the 2nd glass, and why?

And which constant should you be using for air? Also, look at the dimensions (units) in the constant.
The temperature difference is 18 degrees? Not exactly sure. I should be using the constant given in the table for air, 0.025?

No. Using 9 degrees is incorrect. Let the two unknown interface temperatures be T1 and T2. In terms of these temperatures, please write down the heat conduction equation for each of the three layers separately.

Likes Lnewqban
Alright, let me try this:
For:
Glass 1- (1.3)27-T1/3mm?
Air- (0.025)T1-T2/3mm?
Glass 2- (1.3)T2-0/3mm?

jisbon said:
For:
Glass 1- (1.3)27-T1/3mm?
Air- (0.025)T1-T2/3mm?
Glass 2- (1.3)T2-0/3mm?
Make sure you are using the right units. And of course mind the parentheses.

jisbon said:
For:
Glass 1- (1.3)27-T1/3mm?
Air- (0.025)T1-T2/3mm?
Glass 2- (1.3)T2-0/3mm?
This is good. I'm going to re-write your equations a little better. First of all, they're not equations. They are just expressions. Each expression is equal to the heat flux Q through the layers. So here is my version of what you wrote:

$$Q=\frac{k_1}{\delta_1}(27-T_1)$$
$$Q=\frac{k_2}{\delta_2}(T_1-T_2)$$
$$Q=\frac{k_3}{\delta_3}(T_2-0)$$

If this is OK with you, then please next solve each of these equations algebraically for each of the temperature differences in terms of Q, k, and ##\delta## for each layer. What do you get?

Likes scottdave and Lnewqban
Hi there, sorry for the late reply.
I've solved these equations and got T2 to be 50/9K,which is theoretically impossible. Any ideas why?

jisbon said:
Hi there, sorry for the late reply.
I've solved these equations and got T2 to be 50/9K,which is theoretically impossible. Any ideas why?
Show us what you did.

Chestermiller said:
Show us what you did.
##Q=1.3\left( \dfrac {300-T_{1}}{3\times 10^{-3}}\right) = 0.025\left( \dfrac {T_{1}-T_{2}}{3\times 10^{-3}}\right) = 1.3\left( \dfrac {T_{2}}{3\times 10^{-3}}\right) ##
Solving these equations,
##T_{1}=\dfrac {T_{2}+15600}{53} ##
##T_{1}=50/9K##

jisbon said:
##Q=1.3\left( \dfrac {300-T_{1}}{3\times 10^{-3}}\right) = 0.025\left( \dfrac {T_{1}-T_{2}}{3\times 10^{-3}}\right) = 1.3\left( \dfrac {T_{2}}{3\times 10^{-3}}\right) ##
The third equality should be T2-273, or the first equality should be 27-T!

Chestermiller said:
The third equality should be T2-273, or the first equality should be 27-T!
:dademyday:
But seriously, thanks for the help. Careless :/
Found T2 to be 0.5 degrees celsius and T1 to be 26.5 degrees

What is Fourier's Law of Heat Conduction?

Fourier's Law of Heat Conduction is a principle that describes the rate at which heat is transferred through a material. It states that the amount of heat transferred per unit time is directly proportional to the temperature gradient and the cross-sectional area of the material, and inversely proportional to the distance over which the heat is transferred.

How does Fourier's Law of Heat Conduction apply to window panes?

In the context of window panes, Fourier's Law of Heat Conduction explains how heat is transferred through the glass material. The rate of heat transfer is dependent on the temperature difference between the inside and outside of the window, the thickness of the glass, and the area of the window pane.

What factors affect the rate of heat transfer through a window pane?

The rate of heat transfer through a window pane is influenced by several factors, including the temperature difference between the inside and outside of the window, the thickness and material of the glass, the presence of any insulating layers, and the area of the window pane.

How can Fourier's Law of Heat Conduction be applied to improve energy efficiency in buildings?

By understanding and applying Fourier's Law of Heat Conduction, building designers and engineers can make informed decisions about the materials and design of windows in order to improve energy efficiency. This can include using materials with lower thermal conductivity, adding insulating layers, and minimizing the area of windows in certain orientations to reduce heat transfer.

What are the limitations of Fourier's Law of Heat Conduction?

While Fourier's Law of Heat Conduction is a useful principle for understanding heat transfer through materials, it does have limitations. It assumes that the material is homogeneous and has a constant thermal conductivity, which may not always be the case. It also does not take into account factors such as convection and radiation, which can also affect the overall heat transfer in a system.