Foveon X3 Quattro direct image sensor: any opinions?

In summary, the Sigma Foveon sensor seems to be a clever idea that solves a number of problems, but introduces some new ones. The high resolution is incredible, but may not be practical for most applications.
sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I just came upon this sensor, in a new(?) camera by Sigma. It seems to be a clever idea. As anyone here got any special knowledge of the device or the technology? It solves a number of problems but, no doubt, introduces some new ones. Incredibly high res!
I will stick with Pentax until I become very rich - enough to make a change of lenses- so I have no Interest in the company or the device.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I don't know much about these things, but there seems to be a lot of marketing bs in there. For instance, the statement
In the Foveon direct image sensor, there are no color filters which would cause a loss of information transmitted by light.
is a stretch considering that
Leveraging the light absorption characteristics of silicon, the sensor comprises three layers of photodiodes, each at a different depth within the silicon and each corresponding to a different RGB color.
sounds functionallly equivalent to filtering.

sophiecentaur said:
I just came upon this sensor, in a new(?) camera by Sigma.

The camera may be new but the Fovean type of sensor has been around for a while now and never seemed to make significant inroads into the marketplace. Not sure if that's due to the sensor itself or Sigma's implementation of the sensor in their cameras. They certainly have come up with some nice lenses recently.

DrClaude said:
sounds functionallly equivalent to filtering
Well, it has to be because, if the blue sensor is using all the available light then it is 'filtering it out' as to goes through. But I think the point is that the whole available area of the sensor is available for each colour of sensor. It's almost as if the copy writer has missed the point.
Sigma:
pixel said:
They certainly have come up with some nice lenses recently.
They have always had some pretty good high end lenses. At several £k, some of them are pretty popular with the big boys. Their regular lenses seem to be at least as good as the main camera manufacturers' kit lenses.

sophiecentaur said:
I just came upon this sensor, in a new(?) camera by Sigma. It seems to be a clever idea. As anyone here got any special knowledge of the device or the technology? It solves a number of problems but, no doubt, introduces some new ones. Incredibly high res!
I will stick with Pentax until I become very rich - enough to make a change of lenses- so I have no Interest in the company or the device.

I've been aware of the foveon chip since it came out in the late 1990s. Seems fantastic, not sure why it has yet to penetrate the market.

Andy Resnick said:
I've been aware of the foveon chip since it came out in the late 1990s. Seems fantastic, not sure why it has yet to penetrate the market.
Some practical reasons that have been given:
- The color layers are not so orthogonal in response, hence some tricks need to be applied to get good color, hence reduction in the relative noise advantage
- Less aggressive development relative to Bayer sensors, leading to reduction in other Foveon advantages such as the inherent resolution advantage
- Sigma is not one of the "big" brands

olivermsun said:
- The color layers are not so orthogonal in response, hence some tricks need to be applied to get good color, hence reduction in the relative noise advantage
I guess they have the same problem as with colour film, with its layers. But the foveon layers are not 'use once and throw away', as with cheap film so Sigma can afford to make it work better. I remember working on colour Telecine systems and it was a nightmare to get good enough colour for TV. Each stock was different. Pictures that would look fine for visual viewing would be totally mangled when passing through the PAL TV analysis and display.

sophiecentaur said:
I guess they have the same problem as with colour film, with its layers. But the foveon layers are not 'use once and throw away', as with cheap film so Sigma can afford to make it work better. I remember working on colour Telecine systems and it was a nightmare to get good enough colour for TV. Each stock was different. Pictures that would look fine for visual viewing would be totally mangled when passing through the PAL TV analysis and display.
At this point in the evolution of Foveon, the output colors (and everything else) look great. The noise performance just isn't up there with the best conventional sensors, despite using "all" the area for all 3 colors channels.

Likes jim mcnamara and sophiecentaur

1. What is a Foveon X3 Quattro direct image sensor?

The Foveon X3 Quattro direct image sensor is a type of image sensor used in digital cameras. It is designed to capture images with high resolution and color accuracy by using three layers of pixels, each sensitive to a different color (red, green, and blue).

2. How does the Foveon X3 Quattro direct image sensor work?

The Foveon X3 Quattro direct image sensor works by using three layers of pixels, each sensitive to a different color. When light enters the sensor, it is captured by the pixels and converted into an electrical signal. This signal is then processed and combined to create a high-resolution and color-accurate image.

3. What are the advantages of using a Foveon X3 Quattro direct image sensor?

One of the main advantages of using a Foveon X3 Quattro direct image sensor is its ability to capture images with high resolution and color accuracy. This is due to its unique design of using three layers of pixels instead of the traditional Bayer filter used in other types of image sensors. Additionally, the Foveon X3 Quattro direct image sensor also has a wider dynamic range, meaning it can capture more detail in both bright and dark areas of an image.

4. Are there any disadvantages to using a Foveon X3 Quattro direct image sensor?

While the Foveon X3 Quattro direct image sensor has many advantages, there are also some disadvantages. One of the main drawbacks is its lower light sensitivity compared to other image sensors. This can result in images with more noise in low light conditions. Additionally, the Foveon X3 Quattro direct image sensor is more expensive to manufacture, making it a pricier option for cameras.

5. What are some opinions on the Foveon X3 Quattro direct image sensor?

The Foveon X3 Quattro direct image sensor has received mixed opinions from photographers and camera enthusiasts. Some praise its ability to capture highly detailed and color-accurate images, while others criticize its lower light sensitivity and higher cost. Overall, the Foveon X3 Quattro direct image sensor is considered a unique and innovative technology in the world of digital cameras.