Frame of reference of bicycle rider

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculations for the angular speed, momentum, angular momentum, and kinetic energy of a bicycle wheel in the frame of reference of the rider. The equations used include the relationship between linear and angular velocity, the moment of inertia for a hoop, and the formula for kinetic energy. The final values for the angular speed, momentum, angular momentum, and kinetic energy are 10 rad/s, 0 kg*m/s, 1.225 kg*m^2, and 6.125 J, respectively.
Alex_Neof

Homework Statement

A wheel of a bicycle weighs 1 kg, all of which is at the rim. The diameter of the wheel is 0.7 m. If the bicycle is ridden at the speed of 3.5 m s–1, then in the frame of
reference of the rider:

i) Calculate the angular speed ω of the wheel.

ii) Calculate the momentum of the rim, p.

iii) Calculate the angular momentum of the wheel.

iv) Calculate the kinetic energy of the wheel.

Homework Equations

## v = {\omega} r ##
## \rho = mv ##
## L=I\omega ##
## Kinetic\ Energy = \frac{1}{2} m v^2 + \frac{1}{2} I \omega ^2##

Moment of Inertia of a hoop (for the wheel, ignoring the spokes):

## I=M R^2 ##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
i) ## \frac {v}{r} = 10\ rad\ s^{-1}##

ii) ## 0 \ {kg}\ m\ s^{-1}## (Since in the frame of reference of the rider, there is no linear translation?)

iii) ## L=(M R^2) \omega ##
##(1) (0.35)^2 (10) = 1.225 {kg}\ m^2 ##

iv) ##Kinetic\ Energy = \frac{1}{2} I \omega ^2## Ignoring the linear term again.

##Kinetic\ Energy = (0.5) (0.35) ^2 (10)^2 = 6.125 J ##

Is this correct?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you!

What is the frame of reference of a bicycle rider?

The frame of reference of a bicycle rider is the perspective from which they observe and measure their own motion. It includes their own body and the bicycle they are riding.

Why is understanding the frame of reference important for a bicycle rider?

Understanding the frame of reference is important for a bicycle rider because it allows them to accurately judge their own speed, direction, and position in relation to their surroundings. It also helps them make decisions and adjustments while riding to maintain balance and safety.

How does the frame of reference change for a bicycle rider?

The frame of reference can change for a bicycle rider depending on their location and movement. For example, if they are riding along a straight path, their frame of reference may stay relatively constant. But if they are turning or going up or down hills, their frame of reference will shift accordingly.

How do different frames of reference affect a bicycle rider's experience?

Different frames of reference can greatly affect a bicycle rider's experience. For example, riding on a smooth, flat surface will provide a different frame of reference compared to riding on a bumpy, hilly terrain. This can impact their speed, balance, and overall comfort while riding.

How can a bicycle rider use the frame of reference to improve their performance?

A bicycle rider can use the frame of reference to improve their performance by understanding how their body and bike move in relation to their environment. This can help them make adjustments to their positioning and technique to increase efficiency and speed. Additionally, being aware of their frame of reference can also help them anticipate and avoid potential obstacles or hazards while riding.