Frame Works Trusses Homework: Determine Forces in Trusses

In summary, the conversation is about verifying unknown forces in a truss. The person is attempting to calculate the forces using a telescopic gauge and a calibration chart, but is unsure if their results are accurate. They are also considering the weight of the truss and whether it needs to be taken into account in their calculations. They mention using the method of sections and taking moments to calculate the reactions.
Colin Luu

Homework Statement

I need to verify a couple of unknown forces in a truss, attached image (all individual trusses are 300mm in length)

Homework Equations

Determine the forces in trusses shown.

The Attempt at a Solution

This is a lab and I've used a telescopic gauge with a calibration chart to obtain a rough value of what the forces should be, (missed too many classes on Framworks damnit!)
From Left to Right Box, Left 100N Tension, Right 187.5N Compression RL is 163.5 N Rr is 130.8N
Even is i have a parallel worked example it would be enough.

Attachments

• Frame Work.bmp
    150.1 KB · Views: 450
Physics news on Phys.org
okay I've done it with method of sections and resulted from left box to right 98.1N and 65.4N which is way off the lab value 187N for the right box can anyone verify these results?

Last edited:
We do not see the diagram yet while it is pending approval.
Could you supply your calculations how you obtained 98.1 and 65.4 N?
Have you taken into account the dead weight of the truss?
If the truss has only two pinned supports, you do not need to calculate by sections to get the reactions. Simply taking moments will do.

Sorry i forgot to mention this is neglecting frame weight, I'll scan the working out tonight and upload.

1. What is a truss?

A truss is a structural framework consisting of straight members connected at their ends by joints. It is commonly used in construction to support roofs, bridges, and other structures.

2. How do you determine forces in trusses?

To determine the forces in trusses, you must first draw a free body diagram of the truss and then apply the equations of equilibrium to solve for the unknown forces. This involves calculating the reactions at the supports and using the method of joints or method of sections to find the internal member forces.

3. What is the purpose of determining forces in trusses?

Determining forces in trusses is important for structural design and analysis. It helps engineers ensure that the truss is capable of supporting the intended load and can withstand external forces such as wind and earthquakes.

4. What are some common types of trusses?

Some common types of trusses include the Pratt truss, Warren truss, Howe truss, and K truss. These truss designs differ in their arrangement of diagonal and vertical members, which affects their load-bearing capacity.

5. What factors can affect the forces in trusses?

The forces in trusses can be affected by various factors such as the shape and size of the truss, the type of load it is supporting, the material of the truss members, and the angle of the diagonal members. Changes in any of these factors can alter the magnitude and direction of the forces in the truss.