Solving Truss Homework: Finding All Forces in Members

• Thread starter ajd-brown
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Truss
In summary, the student is struggling to find all the forces acting in the members of a truss and has attempted to use the method of sections and method of joints. However, they have only been able to find the values for AF and AB. They are seeking guidance on the correct method to use, as they believe the truss may be statically indeterminate. They also mention the need to minimize compressive forces in the design and the use of 3mm square balsa wood. They ask for help regarding the 25N load and question their understanding of indeterminacy. They thank the person for their time and reply.
ajd-brown

Homework Statement

I need to find all the forces acting in the members of this truss.

Homework Equations

Sum x = 0
Sum y = 0
Sum Mom. at any point = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

i have tried using the method of sections and method of joints to solve this truss, but i cannot get any more values than the AF and AB, which = 25.9 and 12.99 respectively.

I don't want anybody to do it for me, i just need some help with the correct method, i think the fact that it is not statically determinate may have an impact, also does anybody have any idea as to how to improve this design/make it easier to solve? from experimenting in the program force effects, the addtion of the extra members on top of the truss decreased compressive forces dramatically. i will be making this truss out of 3mm square balsa wood, so compressive forces need to be minimised.

Thanks,

Anthony

Attachments

• truss.jpg
    truss.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 390
Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think this truss is statically indeterminate?
You will need to know the dimensions of the truss in order to help you resolve the internal forces.

Hint: it appears that your truss is symmetric about point C in terms of geometry and loading. If you have found AF and AB, what forces will you find in the other end of the truss at ED and EH?

SteamKing said:
Hint: it appears that your truss is symmetric about point C in terms of geometry and loading.

so this mean i can cut the truss in half, but what should i do with the central 25n load, should i half it or keep if the same?

as far as indeterminacy goes, i thought that because it does not satisfy m+3=2j (where m is number of members and j is number of joints,) that it is indeterminate, i take it that i am wrong.

thank you for your time and reply,

Anthony

1. What is a truss?

A truss is a structural framework made up of straight members connected at their ends by joints. Trusses are commonly used in buildings, bridges, and other structures to support heavy loads.

2. Why is it important to find all forces in truss members?

Finding all forces in truss members is important because it allows us to determine the overall stability and strength of the truss. This information is crucial in ensuring that the truss can support the intended load without any failures or collapses.

3. What are the steps to solving truss homework?

The steps to solving truss homework include: identifying the forces acting on the truss, drawing a free body diagram of the entire truss, breaking the truss into individual members, analyzing each member using equilibrium equations, and finally checking the solution for accuracy and completeness.

4. How do I determine the direction and magnitude of forces in truss members?

The direction and magnitude of forces in truss members can be determined by using the equations of equilibrium, which state that the sum of all forces in any direction and the sum of all moments about any point must equal zero. This allows us to solve for the unknown forces in each member.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving truss homework?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving truss homework include: not considering all forces acting on the truss, using incorrect sign conventions for forces, and not checking the solution for accuracy. It is important to carefully analyze the truss and follow a systematic approach to ensure an accurate and complete solution.