Frames of Reference: Find the speed and heading of the airplane

ahira
New user has been reminded to always show their work when posting schoolwork questions
Homework Statement
pilot is flying from City A to City B which is 300 km [NW]. If the plane will encounter a constant wind of 80 km/h from the north and the schedule insists that he complete his trip in 0.75 h, what air speed and heading should the plane have?
Relevant Equations
V=d/t
Vg= Vair +Vwing
so far what i have gotten to is that 300/0.75 = 400km/h but I dont know how to draw the diagram for this

Physics news on Phys.org
would it be like this?
diagram fof.jpg

Likes Lnewqban
ahira said:
so far what i have gotten to is that 300/0.75 = 400km/h but I dont know how to draw the diagram for this
ahira said:
would it be like this?
'like this' is a good description, but some improvement is in order:
  • heading AB is ##\pi/4##
  • you write ##v_g = v_{air} + v_{wing} ##, but you draw ##v_{wing}= =v_g - v_{air}##. That's fine, but somewhat confusing, especially if you don't label the vectors.
So far, so good; now perform the actual calculation :smile:

##\ ##

BvU said:
'like this' is a good description, but some improvement is in order:
  • heading AB is π/4
  • you write vg=vair+vwing, but you draw vwing==vg−vair. That's fine, but somewhat confusing, especially if you don't label the vectors.
So far, so good; now perform the actual calculation :smile:
IMG_3659.jpg

I Changed the diagram and realized that North West sits on an angle of 45 degrees so therefore the angle between the Northline and A should be 45 degrees. I'm not that sure but should the angle at B be 45 degrees as well due to alternate angles ?

Last edited:
City A to City B which is 300 km [NW]
So vector AB should correspond to the ground speed with a heading of 45 degrees west of north and magnitude 400 km/h. As you wrote$$v_g = v_{air} + v_{wing}$$but now your drawing shows vector AC (a.k.a.##\ \ v_{wing}\ \ ##) as ##v_g + v_{air}## !!

Lean back a little and use common sense: with a headwind your course should be aiming upwind of A !

And you can also reasonably expect that you need to make more speed than the 400 km/h ('AC should be longer than AB')

##\ ##

Sorry for the dumb question, but should ##v_{wing}## be ##v_{wind}## in all of the posts above (including the OP's)?

• Love
Likes BvU
BvU said:
somewhat confusing, especially if you don't label the vectors.
I feel dumb for taking ##v_{air} = ## 80 km/h from the north (the speed OF the air :rolleyes:), when - most likely -@ahira perhaps meant ##v_{air} = ## the speed WRT the air.

So what about
ahira said:
Relevant Equations:
Vg= Vair +Vwing
and the picture in #3 ?

##\ ##

1. What is a frame of reference?

A frame of reference is a set of axes or coordinate system used to describe the position, orientation, and motion of an object. It is used to measure and compare the movement of an object relative to a fixed point or observer.

2. How is the speed of an airplane calculated using frames of reference?

The speed of an airplane can be calculated by measuring the change in position over time, using the chosen frame of reference. This can be done by using instruments such as radar or GPS, or by visually tracking the movement of the airplane relative to a fixed point on the ground.

3. How does the heading of an airplane relate to frames of reference?

The heading of an airplane refers to the direction in which it is pointed. This can be measured using a compass or other navigational instruments. In terms of frames of reference, the heading of an airplane is the direction in which it is moving relative to a fixed point or observer.

4. What are the different types of frames of reference used in aviation?

In aviation, there are three main types of frames of reference: ground-based, air-based, and inertial. Ground-based frames of reference use a fixed point on the ground as a reference for measuring an airplane's position and movement. Air-based frames of reference use the airplane itself as the reference point. Inertial frames of reference use the laws of physics to measure an object's motion without any external reference points.

5. How do frames of reference affect the accuracy of speed and heading measurements?

The accuracy of speed and heading measurements can be affected by the choice of frame of reference. For example, using a ground-based frame of reference may be more accurate for measuring an airplane's speed and heading in relation to a specific location on the ground, while an air-based frame of reference may be more accurate for measuring the airplane's speed and heading in relation to its own movement. Inertial frames of reference are generally considered the most accurate for measuring an object's motion, but may require more complex equipment and calculations.