Fraunhofer Diffraction for two unequal slit widths

In summary, we derived an expression for the intensity of the Fraunhofer diffraction pattern due to two unequal slits using the Fresnel-Kirchoff formula and Fourier transforms. We were able to simplify the expression to only involve the diffraction angle \theta and a constant C. Thank you for your question and I hope this helps!
devaultc

Homework Statement

Consider a Fraunhofer diffraction pattern due to two unequal slits. Let a and b be the unequal slit widths and c the distance between their centers. Derive an expression for the intensity of the pattern for and diffraction angle [tex]\theta[/tex], assuming the arrangement to be illuminated by perpendicular light of wavelength [tex]\lambda[/tex].

Homework Equations

Fresnel-Kirchoff formula: Up = C[tex]\int[/tex] E^(ikr)dA
E(kz) = FT{A(z)} where A(z) is the aperture function and FT is Fourier Trnasform

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt has been to express the double slit as an aperture function A(z) as the sum of the rectangle function rect|(z+c)/a| + rect|(z-c)/b| and take the FT of A(z). I know the general FT of a rectangle function is sinc() but I am not sure how to show that and if I do, how do I interpret my results? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
for any help!
Thank you for your interesting question. The Fraunhofer diffraction pattern due to two unequal slits is a classic problem in optics and can be solved using the Fresnel-Kirchoff formula and Fourier transforms.

To start, we can define the aperture function A(z) as the sum of the two rectangle functions representing the two slits:

A(z) = rect[(z+c)/a] + rect[(z-c)/b]

Taking the Fourier transform of A(z), we get:

E(kz) = FT{A(z)} = FT{rect[(z+c)/a]} + FT{rect[(z-c)/b]}

Using the property that the Fourier transform of a rectangle function is a sinc function, we can write the above equation as:

E(kz) = sinc[(ka/2)sin\theta] + sinc[(kb/2)sin\theta]

where \theta is the diffraction angle and k is the wavenumber given by k = 2\pi/\lambda.

Now, using the Fresnel-Kirchoff formula, we can write the intensity of the diffraction pattern at a point P on the screen as:

I_P = C\int E^(ikr)dA

where C is a constant and r is the distance between the point P and the aperture A(z).

Substituting the expression for E(kz) in the above equation, we get:

I_P = C\int [sinc[(ka/2)sin\theta] + sinc[(kb/2)sin\theta]] e^(ikr) dA

Integrating over the aperture A(z), we get:

I_P = C\{sinc[(ka/2)sin\theta] FT{e^(ikr)} + sinc[(kb/2)sin\theta] FT{e^(ikr)}\}

Using the Fourier transform property that FT{e^(ikr)} = \delta(k), where \delta(k) is the Dirac delta function, we can simplify the above equation to:

I_P = C\{sinc[(ka/2)sin\theta] + sinc[(kb/2)sin\theta]\}

Finally, we can substitute the values of a, b, and c in terms of the diffraction angle \theta to get the final expression for the intensity of the diffraction pattern:

I_P = C\{

What is Fraunhofer Diffraction for two unequal slit widths?

Fraunhofer diffraction is a phenomenon that occurs when a wave, such as light or sound, passes through an aperture or slit and produces a diffraction pattern on a screen. In the case of two unequal slit widths, the diffraction pattern will be affected by the relative widths of the slits.

How does diffraction for two unequal slit widths differ from diffraction for two equal slit widths?

When two slits of unequal widths are used, the diffraction pattern will be asymmetric and the intensity of the diffracted light will be different for each slit. This is in contrast to the symmetrical pattern and equal intensity observed for two equal slit widths.

What factors affect the diffraction pattern for two unequal slit widths?

The main factor that affects the diffraction pattern for two unequal slit widths is the ratio of the slit widths. This ratio will determine the relative intensity of the diffraction peaks and the overall shape of the pattern.

What is the significance of studying Fraunhofer Diffraction for two unequal slit widths?

Studying Fraunhofer diffraction for two unequal slit widths is important in understanding the behavior of waves and their interactions with openings. This knowledge can be applied in various fields such as optics, acoustics, and signal processing.

Can Fraunhofer Diffraction for two unequal slit widths be used in practical applications?

Yes, Fraunhofer diffraction for two unequal slit widths has practical applications in fields such as spectroscopy, optical metrology, and diffraction-based imaging techniques. By studying the diffraction pattern, information about the properties of the slits and the incident wave can be obtained.