Free body diagram -- Ball rotating on one arm of a Y shaped pole

In summary, the person's question is trying to find out if it is correct to state that:a/(mg) makes no sense since a is a distance and mg is a force.Newton's 2nd law states that there is a normal force acting on the object. This force is equal to the weight of the object multiplied by the cosine of the angle between the object and the force. In this case, the cosine of the angle between the legs of the Y and the central rod is mg/sin theta, so the normal force is mg sin theta.
jisbon
Homework Statement
Ball suspended on one arm of a Y shaped pole when pole rotates around vertical axis with angular velocity w, it maintains a distance h from the centre of the pole.
1) Derive an expression for the normal force on the ball.
2) Derive an expression for w
Relevant Equations
-
To start off with, I can't seem to interpret the FBD here. Here are my drawing:

1573615464936.png

and what I interpret as.

1573615384455.png

From here, I feel like I can (it's wrong obviously but I'm not sure why) state that sin theta = o/h = o/mg = N/mg , so N= mg sin theta?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The FBD is not enough. Write down Newton's 2nd law appropriate to this situation. Then look for the normal force.

Is the angle between the legs of the Y given? Also, is the ball actually suspended (mentioned in the statement of the problem) from a string or is it like a bead with one leg of the Y going through it as shown in your drawing??

Last edited:
jisbon said:
and what I interpret as.

View attachment 252761

Please explain this diagram.
It looks like the angled line from upper left to lower right represents the arm on which the ball is threaded, and the dashed line is the vertical continuation of the central rod. But if so, h should be either a horizontal distance or a distance down the arm to the central rod - not sure which - and I don't know what the line labeled 'o' represents.

kuruman said:
The FBD is not enough. Write down Newton's 2nd law appropriate to this situation. Then look for the normal force.

Is the angle between the legs of the Y given? Also, is the ball actually suspended (mentioned in the statement of the problem) from a string or is it like a bead with one leg of the Y going through it as shown in your drawing??
Angle is given to be theta. The diagram shown to be was going through, but the question states it was suspended.
haruspex said:
Please explain this diagram.
It looks like the angled line from upper left to lower right represents the arm on which the ball is threaded, and the dashed line is the vertical continuation of the central rod. But if so, h should be either a horizontal distance or a distance down the arm to the central rod - not sure which - and I don't know what the line labeled 'o' represents.
the second picture is a zoomed-in picture of the fbd system of the first picture. O and H simply means opposite and hypotenuse

1573621397393.png

jisbon said:
O and H simply means opposite and hypotenuse
The diagram has h, not H, and h was given a different meaning in the problem statement. Confusing.

haruspex said:
The diagram has h, not H, and h was given a different meaning in the problem statement. Confusing.

Sorry, the corrected problem looks like this:
1573723344497.png

So in this case, why is it wrong to state that:

$$\begin{aligned}\sin \theta =\dfrac {a}{b}=\dfrac {a}{mg}=\dfrac {N}{mg}\\ N=mg\sin \theta \end{aligned} $$

jisbon said:
$$\begin{aligned}\sin \theta =\dfrac {a}{b}=\dfrac {a}{mg}=\dfrac {N}{mg}\\ N=mg\sin \theta \end{aligned} $$
First, a/(mg) makes no sense since a is a distance and mg is a force.
Second, you are overlooking that there is an acceleration.
Just do the standard process of writing the force balance equation, ΣF=ma, for each of two directions.
Given the acceleration I would suggest vertical and horizontal.

1. What is a free body diagram?

A free body diagram is a visual representation of all the forces acting on an object. It helps to identify and analyze the different forces that are acting on an object in a given situation.

2. How do you draw a free body diagram for a ball rotating on one arm of a Y shaped pole?

To draw a free body diagram for this scenario, you would first need to identify all the forces acting on the ball. These may include the force of gravity, the normal force from the pole, and the tension force from the string holding the ball. Then, draw a dot to represent the ball and arrows to represent the direction and magnitude of each force.

3. Why is a free body diagram important in science?

A free body diagram is important because it allows us to visualize and understand the forces acting on an object in a given situation. This helps us to analyze and predict the motion of the object, and to apply important principles such as Newton's Laws of Motion.

4. What happens to the free body diagram if the ball's speed increases?

If the ball's speed increases, the free body diagram will remain the same as long as the forces acting on the ball do not change. However, if the speed increases to a point where air resistance becomes a significant force, then the free body diagram would need to be revised to include this additional force.

5. Can a free body diagram be used to determine the acceleration of the ball?

Yes, a free body diagram can be used to determine the acceleration of the ball. By analyzing the forces acting on the ball and applying Newton's Second Law (F=ma), the acceleration of the ball can be calculated. This can help us understand the motion of the ball and make predictions about its future movement.