Free journals of maths and physics?

In summary, there are numerous free journals available for mathematics and physics enthusiasts to access and read. These journals cover a wide range of topics, from basic concepts to cutting-edge research, and are often published by universities, research institutions, and professional organizations. They provide a valuable resource for students, researchers, and anyone interested in expanding their knowledge and understanding of these subjects. Some popular examples of free journals in this field include the International Journal of Mathematics and Physics, Physics Letters, and the Journal of Mathematical Physics. These free journals offer open access to their content, making it easier for readers to stay updated on the latest developments and discoveries in the world of maths and physics.
jonjacson
Hi folks,

I am searching free journals of maths and physics that are written to teach, so you can learn even if you have no idea of the content (previously I mean).

Does it exist something like that?

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
All journals are written "to teach", but all assume a particular starting point more advanced than "no idea of the content". You can only do so much in a few pages.

Likes BvU
jonjacson said:
so you can learn even if you have no idea of the content
That's what introductory textbooks are for. They are used in schools and universities. Journals are not.

Likes member 587159, vanhees71 and Vanadium 50
BvU said:
That's what introductory textbooks are for. They are used in schools and universities. Journals are not.
That's true, but not completely true. American Journal of Physics and European Journal of Physics have the purpose to teach. Yet, the papers in those journals should be used as a supplementary material, i.e. they assume that the the reader has already learned the basics from a textbook.

Many papers from those journals are available for free on arXiv:
https://arxiv.org/search/advanced?a...acts=show&size=50&order=-announced_date_first
https://arxiv.org/search/advanced?advanced=1&terms-0-operator=AND&terms-0-term="Eur.+J.+Phys."&terms-0-field=journal_ref&classification-physics_archives=all&classification-include_cross_list=include&date-filter_by=all_dates&date-year=&date-from_date=&date-to_date=&date-date_type=submitted_date&abstracts=show&size=50&order=-announced_date_first

Last edited:
Likes PhDeezNutz
Well folks, I found a very good fit for what I was looking for.

https://www.investigacionyciencia.es/

It is in Spanish and it is not free, but the suscription is very low.

I guess this is like Science and Nature in English, more or less.

Thanks for all the answers.

jonjacson said:
Hi folks,

I am searching free journals of maths and physics that are written to teach, so you can learn even if you have no idea of the content (previously I mean).

Does it exist something like that?
If you are still a student to a university in the US. Then the school should have access to journals (ie., subscription for the school), either through the library or the specific department the journal's contents belong to.

Likes jonjacson and vanhees71

1. What are free journals of maths and physics?

Free journals of maths and physics are online publications that provide open access to research articles, reviews, and other scientific content related to mathematics and physics. These journals are available to read and download for free, without any subscription or paywall.

2. How can I access free journals of maths and physics?

You can access free journals of maths and physics through various online platforms such as arXiv, Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ), and Open Science Directory. These platforms provide a list of free journals and allow you to search for specific articles or topics.

3. Are free journals of maths and physics reliable?

Yes, many free journals of maths and physics are reputable and have high standards for peer review and publication. However, it is always important to critically evaluate the sources and authors of the articles you are reading.

4. Can I publish my research in a free journal of maths and physics?

Yes, many free journals of maths and physics accept submissions from researchers and academics. However, it is important to carefully read the submission guidelines and ensure that your research meets the journal's criteria.

5. Are there any disadvantages to using free journals of maths and physics?

One potential disadvantage is that some free journals may not have the same level of prestige or impact as traditional, subscription-based journals. Additionally, some free journals may have lower standards for peer review and publication. It is important to carefully evaluate the credibility and reputation of the journal before citing or using information from it.