Free Video Converter: MPG to 3GP/MP4

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of finding a decent and free video converter to convert mpg to 3gp or mp4 format. The speaker shares their experience with other free video converters, which only convert a portion of the file and require purchase for full conversion. They recommend using YASA, a paid converter that works well for converting videos for iPod. They also suggest searching for freeware video converters online, as there are many available in full versions for free. The conversation also mentions a specific freeware converter, Plato mpeg to 3GP, provided by "Digit-Your Technology Navigator" magazine. It is mentioned that it can convert videos to 3GP, but it is unclear if it can convert to mp4 format as
chaoseverlasting
Does anyone know of any decent, free video converter, mpg to 3gp/mp4 ?

Computer science news on Phys.org
My experience with all free video converters is that they will not convert a whole file, they will only do a part of it becuase it is the free version. Most require you to buy the software for the full conversion. However, I use YASA, and it works out fine for me (converting videos for my iPod).

Just google "freeware video converter" or similar and you should get some good hits. Its suprising the amount of awesome software available for free in full versions.

I couldn't find it on the net but once "Digit-Your Technology Navigator" magazine provided free "Plato mpeg to 3GP converter which was a freeware.I could convert videos to 3GP. I am not sure of the mp4 format.

1. What is a free video converter?

A free video converter is a software program that allows you to convert video files from one format to another. In this case, it specifically converts MPG files to either 3GP or MP4 formats.

2. Why would I need to convert MPG to 3GP or MP4?

MPG is an older video format that is not compatible with many modern devices, such as smartphones and tablets. Converting it to 3GP or MP4 allows you to play the video on these devices.

3. Is the conversion process difficult?

No, the conversion process is typically very straightforward and user-friendly. With a free video converter, you simply need to select the MPG file you want to convert, choose the desired output format, and click a button to start the conversion.

4. Are there any limitations to using a free video converter?

Some free video converters may have limitations on the size or length of the video files they can convert. Additionally, some may have limited output format options. It is important to research and choose a reputable free video converter that meets your specific needs.

5. Are there any risks associated with using a free video converter?

There is always a risk when downloading and using any software, including free video converters. It is important to only download from trusted sources and to have updated antivirus software. Additionally, some free video converters may add watermarks or ads to your converted videos. Again, it is important to research and choose a reputable free video converter.